Admin Account updated to microsoft account on its own and to wrong account

Reaction score
I have a local account in windows 10 home, somehow this has now been updated to a microsoft account, not by me. No one else uses the PC or has an account on the PC. Worst thing is the linked microsoft account is not even mine, it is my sons (a child).

I did not do this, nor does my son have an account on the PC. No windows updates or system changes have been made. I noticed this one morning when opening a browser, i was prompted to ask permission. Here i was directed to sign in to my microsoft account and under family, and grant my son's account permission to use that browser.

The option to signin with local account is gone, and i do not know to revert back to local account or at least update the microsoft account to my own instead of my sons.

1 thing i did was login to my own xbox account via a browser, and changed a xbox setting under the family section, for my sons microsoft account which he uses in xbox. I left this browser open overnight. in the morning i closed the broswer and logged out. later that day i noticed the user profile setting change.

Any advice?

Last edited:
Reaction score
I have (had) a local account in windows 10 home, somehow this has now been updated to a microsoft account, not by me. No one else uses the PC or has an account on the PC. Worst thing is the linked microsoft account is not even mine, it is my sons (a child).

I did not do this, nor does my son have an account on the PC. No windows updates or system changes have been made. I noticed this one morning a few days ago when I opened a browser, i was prompted to ask permission, here i was directed to sign in to my microsoft account then go to family and grant my son's microsoft account permission to use that browser.

The option to signin with local account is gone, and i do not know to revert back to local account or at least update the microsoft account to my own instead of my sons.

The only thing i did was l logged on via a browser to xbox.live and under the family settings, i updated one of my sons xbox settings. I left the browser open overnight. in the morning i logged off and closed the browser. Later that day i noticed the setting change

Any advice?

Reaction score
Thank you for the reply, those instructions do not work since the option to signin with local account has been removed.

Reaction score
Okay, try "Family & other users > Add someone else to this PC", create a new local account for them and then delete the other accounts (the ones you don't want) when finished!. ;)

IMPORTANT!, make sure you backup any files related to the accounts you want to delete as they may vanish or be inaccessible when the accounts are deleted!.
1582797331832.png

Last edited:
Reaction score
I did create a new local account and in the process of transferring all settings before deleting the original, but this is a shame and i should not have to do this.

Reaction score
You might want to upgrade to the latest version if you are running an older version of Win 10 (currently 1909):

I know it can be a pain managing accounts in Win 10 but as long as you have reached your goal, it may well have been worth it!. :)

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply, the windows version was already at the latest version (1909) with all updates.
There are lots of post on the removal of the signin with local account option no longer showing.
I am mostly bothered by the fact that my local account got set to my son's microsoft account on its own. This was not something i did.
I do remember opening microsoft office outlook around the time i noticed this problem, and i was prompted to verify several microsoft accounts including my sons. My sons was the first that needed to be verified and the system registry his outlook account appears first in the list of managed outlook accounts.

Reaction score
I do remember opening microsoft office outlook around the time i noticed this problem
That was most likely when it switched from a local to an MS account???. Once they have you they won't let go LOL. :)

If your problme is solved, please mark the thread as such so it helps others thanks. :)

Ask a Question