Non admin account questions

Reaction score
Setting up new machine. I first created an Admin acct on my wife's new machine when it started the OOBE questions etc.
I got that acct all setup and updated windows (long time downloads) and installed a few apps. Everything working fine there.

Ok now I've set up a Non Admin user acct for general use to surf web etc. Everything ok except this,

When I right click on the windows flag (lower left screen) instead of seeing what I see in the main admin acct (like System, Network, Cmd Console etc) I only see the new Start Menu.

In fact I see the Start Menu whether I left or right click, both the same.

And what is worse when I right click on an item in the Apps List, I don't get the usual Unpin from Start etc. Instead the app starts. Everything operates the same with a left or right click ???

Also I can't sign out of this acct and then log in to the Admin acct (like I can from the Admin). Rather I have to restart.

This doesn't make any sense. I realize it's a non admin privilege acct but it's acting crippled for normal functions.

Can anyone give me any pointers as to what's going on?

Reaction score
Maybe the local user account is somehow corrupt?
I would delete the user account and create a new one.

Reaction score
Thanks I deleted the User with right click issues. Then I rebooted, then did another upgrade check etc. Everything working fine in the original Admin (1st created OOBE) User acct.

So today I try again after all this is Windows 10 a modern OS surely creating a 2nd Non Admin User acct can't be such an exercise to complete, right ?

BTW I'm running Win10 Home came on OEM new Laptop purchase.

Ok so the actual creation happens without incident in the Control Panel->Users. I sign out of my admin acct expecting to see the new non admin user login option come up on the login screen. Nope, just the Admin acct showing (the one I just signed out of).

So I do a total restart, same thing, no sign of new user acct on login at all.

So I login to the admin acct. I look and no files have been created for the new user, but I think that usually happens the first time the user logs in (?) so that's not a biggy yet.

I open an admin cmd console and run Net User and the new user is showing up in the net user display and it's active and it's local group membership is "users".

So I'm at a loss. Did I get a windows 10 that refuses to let me have a functional 2nd user acct ?

Appreciate any info as I've searched several places and found nothing to help me.

Reaction score
R_W_B I'm at a loss.
You seem to be doing everything right but nothing works? Windows by default will list all users on the Log In screen unless the Admin chooses to use the Hide feature, but this is not the case.
I would also choose to use the control panel to add another local User, that's how I set up my PC. There was another option in Win 10 Settings. I just looked into the Win 10 Settings > "Accounts Family & Other People" and noticed that the option to "Add someone else to this PC" has disappeared? When and why I don't have a clue. I must be missing something? I'm sure someone else here can offer you some guidance.

Last edited:

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Maybe try approaching the issue kind of backwards.
Add a new local user as a member of the administrators group.
See if that user functions as expected, then.....
Change the account type from administrator to standard user and see what happens then.

At the admin command prompt type
net user JohnSmith /add
hit enter
then type
net localgroup administrators JohnSmith /add
hit enter
type
exit
hit enter
Restart and log in as JohnSmith

Obviously it doesn't have to be "JohnSmith". Any Tom, Dick or Sally should work fine (dealers choice).
You can add a password to the account after the fact, if you want to.

Ask a Question