Just can't seem to get Windows 10 Running.

Reaction score
This whole saga started back in December when I reluctantly downloaded the free Windows 10 upgrade. I was running Windows 7 without issue. The download went OK for about a week - and then the start menu crashed. I have an account with Advanced Tech Support. They said I had a corrupted file in the download and we established another Microsoft account and downloaded Win 10 again. OK for about three weeks and then the start button would work again - Cortana stopped working - the notification center ceased as well. I struggled through without those things for a while - then went back to Advanced Tech Support and we refreshed the computer - reload Windows 10. It seemed to work OK on a re-start but when I did a cold reboot - the start button wouldn't work again and Cortana is telling me to sign into my Microsoft account but won't give me a sign-in dialogue box. I'm pretty much a wits end and have no idea where to turn. I fear that my Microsoft account isn't working at all and I don't know how to fix that
Every time we set up new account, my PC gets all out of whack - I end up downloading programs again to get them to work. I'm starting to think that the only way out of this is to buy Windows 10 - re-format my hard drive and start all over again - something I really would prefer not to do for obvious reasons. Was wondering if anyone else had experienced anything like this ad/or what suggestions there out there to get this back under control. Thanks in advance. bruce

Reaction score
If you've activated the Windows 10 upgrade then there's no reason to buy Windows 10 to format and do a clean install. Go here https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10 and follow the instructions to create a dvd or flash drive. You can clean install that way. You should have no problem activating.

To me it sounds like either the issue is with the original Windows 7 install or a hardware (possibly a hard drive issue). I'd do the clean install and see how that goes first. If you still have issues, you may want to test the hard drive.

Reaction score
If you've activated the Windows 10 upgrade then there's no reason to buy Windows 10 to format and do a clean install. Go here https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10 and follow the instructions to create a dvd or flash drive. You can clean install that way. You should have no problem activating.

To me it sounds like either the issue is with the original Windows 7 install or a hardware (possibly a hard drive issue). I'd do the clean install and see how that goes first. If you still have issues, you may want to test the hard drive.
Can I just load the new Windows over the top of the up-grade of do I have to do a clean install and format the ahrd drive and start over? I did download the program per you suggestion and the site you suggested.

Ask a Question