KB3093266

Reaction score
I've attempted to do so several times, but after restarting it shows as Update Failed each time.

Reaction score
It has failed to install twice for me. I went to the support page, but it gave no instructions as to what to do if Windows Update failed to install this update.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Well, evidently the 100th time is a charm.
Windows Updates, finally found it and subsequently installed it.
Following a reboot, I see this.....

Update.JPG

Reaction score
For me it keeps downloading the update and then asks me to reset the PC...

Once i hit reset it says its preparing the update and then resets the PC only to come back onto the desktop telling me that the update failed and when i go back to check for updates there it is once more wanting to re-download it again.... crazy stuff really... OMG a cumulative update that wont even install itself correctly? well done MS....

Anyone have the link where we can download this KB directly and then manually install it?
or even a solution on how to get this KB to install correctly....

your support is welcomed.....

cheers

Reaction score
For me it keeps downloading the update and then asks me to reset the PC...

Once i hit reset it says its preparing the update and then resets the PC only to come back onto the desktop telling me that the update failed and when i go back to check for updates there it is once more wanting to re-download it again.... crazy stuff really... OMG a cumulative update that wont even install itself correctly? well done MS....

Anyone have the link where we can download this KB directly and then manually install it?
or even a solution on how to get this KB to install correctly....

your support is welcomed.....

cheers

Microsoft Update Catalog Center
https://catalog.update.microsoft.com/v7/site/Home.aspx

Enter the KB# into the search box .............

Reaction score
Sorry.
I should have tried it myself first before posting.
You are right, it cannot find the KB in question.
My apology.

Reaction score
As it sas, you go to the normal Settings - update. but:

During those builds, which were being thrust upon us, I came across this. It worked for me, but had different results for others. I have it downloaded, so cannot compliment the source. Follow it through with care.

Method 1: Check the Windows Update log file for the errors

a.Click on start; in the start search type %Windir%\WindowsUpdate.log and hit Enter.

b.Open the log file.

c.Scroll down almost towards the bottom of the page and you’ll find the error of those updates that failed to install.

Method 2: Steps to erase Windows Update history

Note:Erasing the windows update history will just remove the entries of the updates and not really the updates itself.

a.Go to menu Start> All Programs> Accessories. Right click on the "command prompt" and select "Run as Administrator".

b.Copy/paste the below command:

c.net stop wuauserv

d.And select OK.

e.Wait until confirmation that the service is stopped.

f.To delete the file, copy the following command in the command prompt:

g.del %systemroot%\SoftwareDistribution\DataStore\Logs\edb.log

h.You can also delete it manually by going to the location in windows explorer.

i.you can restart the service with this command:

j.net start wuauserv

You will find it takes a while to "check for updates," as it sees the log empty, but persist.

Reaction score
Unsolicited caustic comment: with all the criticism about windows doing updates not requested why bother to help it out?

Reaction score
I agree, jm. This very small issues is something I can do without. Comments in the MS pages result in , not a sympathetic response, but no response at all!
It is trivia, but might be enough to drive me back to 8.1.

Reaction score
Anyone managed to download and install this yet through Windows Update.
I've been trying for the past hour or so with no results.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3093266
I had great success installing this cumulative update to my PC and laptop; however, installation fails on my Surface Pro 3. Additionally, it also removes/deletes my Wi-Fi connection. I'm frustrated. After three tries, I'm giving up.

Reaction score
I tried to "reset" Windows 10 (Settings, Update and Security, Recovery) and was given a message that the "reset" was not possible. I did this with both options ... reset Operating System only, and reset Operating System removing all personal files, and both options failed. I've just recently noticed other problems with this computer ... Windows Store opens to a blank page, the search box is not working correctly ... so I have just downloaded the most recent version of Windows 10 and plan to format my hard drive and reinstall. Thankfully, I am always prepared to do this, having a USB drive with the latest versions of all my software and any Keys necessary for them.

I'd guess that this will solve the problem, though it is a little drastic.

Ask a Question