KB3093266

Reaction score
I let the thing update early today, it went OK, problem I than ran into was my Quicken 2015 wouldn't show the right dates in the program or register, and as such wouldn't let me enter any info and every time I tried to change the date it wouldn't do it, tried re installing the program, nothing, tried uninstalling and re installing, no go, sooo, ended up doing a recovery of the image I had made yesterday, that fixed it, now I'm kinda gun shy to re install the damned update. I also had upgraded my FireFox to 41.1, and that messed up a lot of add on's, so the recovery fixed that too, no more update for that either for now.

So if your using quicken 2015, and haven't opened it since you updated W10, try it and see if its still functional.

that must have been a big update, it took a while to download, I don't like the way this update system is now, I can't see the size of each item as before in the W8.1 update system.

EDIT:

well this is weird, I didn't update yesterday prior to making my image, I updated after, but now that I did a recovery I ran the windows update, and it came back as no updates needed, my system was up to date, ???, okyyy, so I just checked the list of installed updates in update history, well gee, there aren't any listed at all, lolol I had a lot of them. So I dono what is up, but at least my stuff is working again.

Last edited:
Reaction score
unreal, I just checked again for updates and that sucker was already downloading again, it took a bit to download again, than it installed, I had no choice, so now its asking for a restart, I'm afraid that my quicken will be hosed again, I'll let ya know if it is again or not this time.

OK seems this time it installed without effecting my quicken program. but the only update that shows up in the update history is this "one". everything else is gone, installed, but not listed anymore.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Found this fix worked for me.

KB3093266
My update failed a couple of times too so I tried the fix that worked on a previous CU install fail:
1. Right click on "Command prompt". Select "Run as Administrator"
2. In the command window type run the System File Checker by typing in:
sfc /scannow
3. Wait a few minutes while it completes.
4. Close the command window.
5. Retry the system update.
It worked for me. Apparently one cause of the failure is when you manually rearrange the Window programs in your Start menu. I use Classic Start Menu and move the Accessories, System Tools etc folders into a single Windows folder. SFC recreates them where MS thinks they ought to be.
You would have thought changing your shortcut locations wasn't a serious enough offence to warrant a CU failure, but try telling MS that.

KB3093266

Reaction score
Bernie.

I had the problem on one of my other laptops. Tried everything - and failed.

sfc /scannow did the trick.
My computers are all pretty much customised in the same fashion, but why one failure out of four.
Well, all done now!!!

Reaction score

KB3093266
My update failed a couple of times too so I tried the fix that worked on a previous CU install fail:
sfc /scannow
It worked for me. Apparently one cause of the failure is when you manually rearrange the Window programs in your Start menu. I use Classic Start Menu and move the Accessories, System Tools etc folders into a single Windows folder. SFC recreates them where MS thinks they ought to be.
You would have thought changing your shortcut locations wasn't a serious enough offence to warrant a CU failure, but try telling MS that.

KB3093266
I tried this but it still failed to download

Reaction score

KB3093266
sfc /scannow

KB3093266

Fixed for me too.... cheers

Reaction score
This update failed a couple times and all I did was reboot and it finally worked.

Unfortunately it also created a conflict that caused my boot drive to hit 100% activity and stay there.

I managed to uninstall it with a lot of patience where I would click and wait minutes for a response. Now my desktop works fine, but I'm hoping this update is fixed!

Reaction score

Ask a Question