(KB3150513)?????

Reaction score
So why if you are already running W 10 do we need and have this as an update.o_O

Microsoft is continuing their aggressive push to install Windows 10 on Windows 8 and Windows 7 PCs. Another round of updates has started - a new update, KB3150513, has been released to "help" the user switch to Windows 10 immediately.

The patch comes with the following description:

So why if you are already running W 10 do we need and have this as an update.

Microsoft is continuing their aggressive push to install Windows 10 on Windows 8 and Windows 7 PCs. Another round of updates has started - a new update, KB3150513, has been released to "help" the user switch to Windows 10 immediately.

So why if you are already running W 10 do we need and have this as an update.

This update provides updated configuration and definitions for compatibility diagnostics performed on the system. The updated definitions will improve accuracy and help enable Microsoft and its partners ensure compatibility for customers who want to install the latest Windows operating system. This update will be offered only if KB2977759, KB2952664, or KB2976978 is installed on Windows 8.1, Windows 8, Windows 7 Service Pack 1 (SP1), or Windows 7 RTM.

Regedit32

Reaction score
The reason you not only need this but want this update is because Microsoft have updated the tool that automatically verifies your System will be compatible with the latest Windows 10 OS Build installation.

For those all ready with Windows 10 installed, the cumulative updates are in effect a new OS Build, and given Microsoft offered this OS freely to people with Windows 7, at some point its plausible those with older computers may no longer have full compatibility with the latest OS Build as some drivers they may be using may simply lose support for further updates.

Thus it is relevant, even for a current Windows 10 user.

See the write up from Microsoft: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3150513

Reaction score
The reason you not only need this but want this update is because Microsoft have updated the tool that automatically verifies your System will be compatible with the latest Windows 10 OS Build installation.
I have not seen the update, but I agree, Microsoft should leave our systems alone. There is no reason to install unnecessary updates related to Win 10. Anyone who wanted to upgrade has already done so.....

Bif

Reaction score
I agree that this as with the entire MS/Windows update process is a bone of contention and should have an opt out feature...but that is simply wishful thinking and will undoubtedly never happen.
I for one have an older laptop running 10, and thus far it's been fine..the point really isn't about this update, but shoving new builds via cumulative updates down our throats when all is running fine.

Reaction score
I have not seen the update, but I agree, Microsoft should leave our systems alone. There is no reason to install unnecessary updates related to Win 10. Anyone who wanted to upgrade has already done so.....
Which is a good enough reason why i don't need this update and will not be installing it.
I remember what happened when the anniversary screwed things up for me.
With W 10 more that any other previous ms os i tend to check out what new updates are all about before installing

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
I'm a bit confused....
Has anyone actually seen or received the aforementioned update on their Windows 10 computer?
I'm relatively OCD about checking manually for updates a couple times a day and I've not seen it on mine.
It looked to me like it was intended for previous Windows Operating Systems

Bif

Reaction score
I concur, I have yet to see this update myself...maybe it will stay away...for awhile. I share your OCD-ness Trouble!

Reaction score
I'm a bit confused....
Has anyone actually seen or received the aforementioned update on their Windows 10 computer?
I'm relatively OCD about checking manually for updates a couple times a day and I've not seen it on mine.
It looked to me like it was intended for previous Windows Operating Systems
Thats why i didn't install it as it looks like as you say for previous Windows Operating Systems so ms can continue bullying everyone onto W 10 so why receive this when you are already running W 10
I am very wary about what the updates are for in W 10 more than any previous versions.;)

Reaction score
I must say ms are persistent in trying to install this i popping up everyday now.
Glad i have my pc set to notify before install.
upload_2016-9-9_23-50-45.png

Reaction score
Having looked for more info on KB3150513 this is why some of you are not seeing it if you are on the latest build.
It seems to suggest that it might somehow enable some sort of unwelcome AU update for those of us on 1511 who are deferring it which i am as is screwed up my pc and see nothing in the latest build that i want or need.
So by me deferring this latest build ms are trying to nag me into installing it.
Well its my pc and what i install on it is not for MS to decide;)

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3150513

This update will be offered only if the following prerequisite updates are installed:

On Windows 10 Version 1511: the August 9, 2016, cumulative update (KB3176493)
On Windows 8.1 and Windows 8: update 2976978
On Windows 7 Service Pack 1 (SP1): update 2952664
On Windows 7 RTM: update 2977759

Last edited:

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
I was wondering....
Thanks for the follow-up info.
Much appreciated.

Reaction score

The problem is that some updates have dependencies on past updates. The problem is knowing whats unnecessary or not is not understood by most users.

Reaction score
The problem is that some updates have dependencies on past updates. The problem is knowing whats unnecessary or not is not understood by most users.
Yes and unlike previous versions you can not tick the updates you want you have to download the lot then delete the ones you don't want after you have installed them.:(
W 10 is the only os i have had that to be honest i dread the updates as i never know what they have screwed up.
I hope that by not installing the Anniversary update i will not receive so many unnecessary junk updates that are not relevant to my needs.;)

Ask a Question