Leave Windows 10

Reaction score
I clicked on Windows 10 some time ago, (more than a month ago). Have noticed during this time that Windows 10 prevents me printing, and doesn't allow me to save a file in JPEG or PNG, this prevents me from uploading pages to my website. Windows 10 has re-written all my previous windows files, (from Windows 7), and so as created many problems for me. I've just tried to uninstall Windows 10, but no window options are given to me to uninstall this program. Looking for directions on how to uninstall Windows 10 this morning, I learn that not only is it impossible to uninstall it, this program will be charged for after July 28 2016!. I don't recall that being pointed out on the constant little box that appears on the screen 'down load windows 10 NOW'. The instinct on seeing a message from windows, is to trust that it is consumer friendly - it seems Windows has changed its policy there.

I'm told there is one way to remove Windows 10 (found just now on the net), which is to back up all files, re-install the original data from the disc to re-install Windows 7. A question re this though, : if I reinstall my original Windows package, what will be the result on all my files, which Windows 10 has changed to its own format?

Reaction score
No you will not be charged for Windows 10, you have already upgraded. Only those who have not upgraded will be charged for an upgrade, if they wait till after the free upgrade cycle has run its course.

Your problem is not Windows 10. Your problem is you still don't understand enough about the applications you are using.

Two easy fixes:
  1. Your printer drivers need repair/reinstalling, assuming your printer manufacturer supports Windows 10 with your series printer.
  2. And your photo editing software likely need repair/reinstalling.
You are correct though in thinking Windows 7 would need to be clean installed. All backup files for downgrading are cleaned out after 30 days.

Reaction score
No you will not be charged for Windows 10, you have already upgraded. Only those who have not upgraded will be charged for an upgrade, if they wait till after the free upgrade cycle has run its course.

Your problem is not Windows 10. Your problem is you still don't understand enough about the applications you are using.

Two easy fixes:
  1. Your printer drivers need repair/reinstalling, assuming your printer manufacturer supports Windows 10 with your series printer.
  2. And your photo editing software likely need repair/reinstalling.
You are correct though in thinking Windows 7 would need to be clean installed. All backup files for downgrading are cleaned out after 30 days.

Re the two easy fixes: 1. the printer I use, does not support Windows 10, and when I downloaded Windows 10, I wasn't really expecting that I would have to change my printer - 2. re my photo editing software - I wasn't expecting that Windows 10 would uninstall my photo editing software. So while I accept that I don't understand enough about the applications of Windows 10, and I was expecting some new features, I wasn't expecting that I'd lose any of the features I had already, and which I've been using for several years. I have hundreds of files, all of which seem to have been reformatted.

So, correct in that I need to re-install Windows 7, but will this procedure return my files to Windows 7 format? I don't understand 'all backup files for downgrading are cleaned out after 30 days', what does this mean?

Reaction score
" I don't understand 'all backup files for downgrading are cleaned out after 30 days', what does this mean? "

When Windows 10 is installed from the 'free download' it builds a backup directory from which the previous OS can be re-installed. After 30 days this directory is deleted.

Reaction score
" I don't understand 'all backup files for downgrading are cleaned out after 30 days', what does this mean? "

When Windows 10 is installed from the 'free download' it builds a backup directory from which the previous OS can be re-installed. After 30 days this directory is deleted.

Many thanks for your responses. I really just want to return to Windows 7 without anything happening to my files. what do you mean by 'when Windows 10 is installed, from free download, it builds a backup directory, from which the previous OS can be re-installed. After 30 days this directory is deleted? I am understanding that quote as: Windows 10 is installed, (by my downloading onto my computer), it then builds a backup directory (on my computer), and the previous OS (I don't understand OS), can be reinstalled, but, that after 30 days (and I'm way over 30 days since installing Windows 10), this directory (ie OS?) is deleted!. what exactly is deleted? Must say Windows is the one to trust, usually, but this edition is proving so, not, user friendly. I really just want to get back to Windows 7, without losing any of my files. major issue here, is I am writing, researching my doctoral thesis, and for the years of work I have put in, to lose anything at this point, would be majorly devastating.

So, how do I get back to Windows 7, and of Windows 10?

Reaction score
OS = Operating System. So after you had W10 on your machine for 30 days you could no longer revert to W7 as you were. If you have the original media for W7 you can reload that but you will want to back up your files to some external device first. In fact you should be backing up your thesis and research every day in my opinion onto a thumb drive or two in the simplest possible formats to ensure that you don't lose it.

Anyway. Have you checked with the manufacturers of your printer and the photo software about W10 support?
What printer and what photo software? Is there anything special about either? For example if the printer was a large format . If they are totally unsupported is it possible to re buy the software and buy a new printer.

As for the files. My W10 systems can save jpeg as well as jpg. Same file different extension.

Reaction score
Windows 10 won't delete your Graphics programs but it could chnge your default graphics program and then associate all the BMP, JPG and other graphics to the WIndows 10 graphics viewer.

Reaction score
Windows 10 won't delete your Graphics programs but it could chnge your default graphics program and then associate all the BMP, JPG and other graphics to the WIndows 10 graphics viewer.

Thanks for your reply and I really do appreciate all the input received. You might have guessed by now, that I'm not really a computer able person. Yet, and maybe because of that status, Windows 10 is more than disappointing - microsoft, in all its programs to date, have been written to facilitate, and provide a service, to those who don't know, as well as to those who do. Windows 10, is really not doing this, so disappointing. An example, is that today I wanted to create a brochure, which has always been available to me, but now, it's not.

I saw a notice today, to say that Windows 10 is not making anyone download their new program, which is of course true, but, for those of us who are not computer buffs, Windows Microsoft, has been a trusted allie, understanding and facilitating the 'dork' factor ie dork, being one who is not computer literate. Windows 10, has then, now, bailed on this insight and support.

Disappointing.

Ask a Question