License will expire soon

Reaction score
About 2 weeks ago I started getting a pop up that said " your windows license will expire soon".
I checked in my setting and it looks like its activated.
I have a desk top computer and I bought it from someone 6 months ago and have not had a problem until now.
If anyone knows anything about this please let me know.

I am sending a screen shot of my settings.
Thank you
2017-09-06.png2017-09-06 (1).png

Reaction score
You need to contact MS about your activation. Or purchase a new key.

The image plainly state your machine is activated through a service. My guess is the service is no longer being paid for. And if you feel you have been a victim of a con, MS needs to know about it. They may even award you a License for helping them fight piracy.

Reaction score
It looks like the computer you purchased, belonged to, and was activated, through a "KMS" licence, that is, a company licence..
As you are not, I assume, a member of the organisation, you cannot renew the licence.
(Sorry Cliff. I wrote this whilst you were posting.)

Reaction score
I have seen many so called "Windows 10 activators" on the Web and many use KMS to activate Windows. These are afaik illegal to use and I would not be surprise if they come with more than one has bargained for.
I am personally not a friend of these things and do not condone using such methods.

Reaction score
Windows 10 runs perfectly fine unregistered. The only difference is you can't change themes and wallpaper (you can change wallpaper by right clicking a pic and select "set as desktop background"), and you have a watermark on the bottom right of the desktop. There are no other restrictions.

Reaction score
In Canada a lot of Trade Schools , Universities, etc obtain a limited time license. In my experience, a call to Microsoft with an explanation of the circumstances MAY allow you to purchase a new key at a significant discount.
In my case I purchased a copy of windows 10 , via internet, from a "system builder" who had "leftover" licenses. (Who Knew?) Once I called MS and explained , I got a new key for less than I paid the "system Builder"

Reaction score
Really? Microsoft is following the Apple iOS model so Windows 10 is the "last" windows "version".
Sooner or later you will need a valid key to access the internet.
Just try to access the internet with windows 98 or XP, - I have both and they work just fine for the games I play on them but they are DONE as far as internet is concerned !

Reaction score
BIgFeet::
Have a look at para 5 in this official agreement. If you are happy to run the OS illegally, then, no problem for you, and good luck.:

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/Useterms/Retail/Windows/10/UseTerms_Retail_Windows_10_English.htm
I do understand the EULA. I do not run Windows unregistered. I don't even condone it. I just made the comment that it will run unregistered no problem. If Microsoft has an issue with it, they can do what they've done with every version of Windows. Cripple it after 30 days. They don't. I wonder why? You can also still do an upgrade from Windows 7 FREE, ACTIVATED, with no issue. I just did it three weeks ago on a Windows 7 laptop. Hmmmm.

BTW, almost 100% of power users break the EULA by blocking telemetry.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Sorry if I seemed off topic. My hobby is fixing computers for free, In several cases students were "upgraded" so their class used identical OS. Once classes are over the licenses expire so they come to me to return to their prior OS (usually 7 or 8.1) as the built in system restore no longer works. If they want to keep 10 they can often re-install it using the 7 or 8 original key from the sticker on the PC

Reaction score
Check out "http://getintopc.com" for .iso images you can burn an install dvd from yourself
Sorry if this is a problem as I have been using NTI burners "forever" I started with Roxio (came with unit) but switched to "www.nticorp.com" products years ago. NTI Express does everything from CD - DVD - BD in Windows XP thru 10 flawlessly
PS: Not an add

Last edited:
Reaction score
PS: Not an add
My voice may not carry much weight with management, but I think you have been here long enough for us to know you are not a spammer. And that you are not here for the sake of spamming ads. That has a tendency to fall under resident member promotions. Although with only 23 messages, it is a bit early. I think you will be fine.

Reaction score
Check out "http://getintopc.com" for .iso images you can burn an install dvd from yourself

Just be careful, which ISO you get. They have a few "preactivated ISO's" as well and for most of their Windows ISO's you gotta have already a key/serial number of your own. With a key you could of course use the Media Creation tool from Microsoft, just to be on the safe side regarding legality....

Reaction score
Just be careful, which ISO you get. They have a few "preactivated ISO's" as well and for most of their Windows ISO's you gotta have already a key/serial number of your own. With a key you could of course use the Media Creation tool from Microsoft, just to be on the safe side regarding legality....
My Bad - I forgot about Media Creation Tool. I was thinking more about Windows 8 I own Windows 7 Ultimate and can re-install all Windows 7 versions based on PC Key As for 8, I called Microsoft support and was directed to getintopc site and told which version I needed based on the key I had

Ask a Question