Windows 10 License renewal

Michael Bell

Mickey B
Reaction score
is there a Microsoft license that needs to be renewed ? my computer original system was Win 8.1 up graded to win 10. Sorry if this is a stupid question but I have to know if there is such a thing ?

Reaction score
With Windows 8.1 Yes there was a license and this reminder has plagued many users that upgraded from 8.1 to Windows 10. You are obviously now running Windows 10, your PC has an electronic digital entitlement that is officially registered with MS. Personally to stop the Win. 8.1 license reminder I would create a new system disk image, perform a clean install of of Windows 10 using an ISO image. It will remove all the trash left on your HD.

Or if you prefer, this article explains the problem in detail and several fixes.

https://windowsreport.com/12007-your-windows-license-will-expire-soon-windows-8-1/

Michael Bell

Mickey B
Reaction score
the point is I am getting no such notice from Microsoft but been getting a ton of phone calls from companies wanting to fix my computer . I up graded from 8.1 to 10 when the free up graded was available. I would really like to know how they know of me , my phone number I thought my information is private?

Michael Bell

Mickey B
Reaction score
the point is I am getting no such notice from Microsoft but been getting a ton of phone calls from companies wanting to fix my computer . I up graded from 8.1 to 10 when the free up graded was available. I would really like to know how they know of me , my phone number I thought my information is private?
I checked activation , I am according to my settings.

Reaction score
It is hard to say without having your PC examined, by someone more qualified than I am.

It is likely a piece of spyware fell through the crack and leaked your information. But that is only speculation on my part.

Reaction score
Michael We get the same phone calls saying your computer has a virus. It's nothing more than a scam.
Bots keep dialing numbers until someone picks up and falls for the scam. They want remote access to your PC so they can glean your personal data the hold your PC ransom, just Ignore the calls.

Reaction score
Yes, the phone calls are a well known scam. Microsoft will never contact you about your license being expired or that you have a virus. These scammers will extort money and take remote control of your system, downloading malware on it.

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Yep, lots of phone calls here too - the scammers will have scraped your data from somewhere and will give you a call (knowing only basic details like your name - but taking a guess that you have a Windows PC). Microsoft will never call you out of the blue like that - so you can safely ignore the call.

Reaction score

Yes, as I'm sure you've discovered already, this IS a scam - and a nuisance. Hope the calls have stopped by now;)

Reaction score
Haven't had many such calls in May. I keep telling my clients not to accept them as most times they mention Windows and anyone using a computer will correlate that to Microsoft. It is somewhat illegal for them to mention Microsoft due to copyright/trademark issues [our brain seems to do that assumption automatically]. Have never know Microsoft to call a computer owner 'out of the blue', the user had to initiate the call to them.

As for the date of expiration, the Insider Preview version of Win10 does carry a date, mine are showing December this year.

Reaction score
I just tell those PC scammers I have a Mac. Then I hear a click!
icon_scratch.png

Reaction score
I just tell those PC scammers I have a Mac. Then I hear a click!
icon_scratch.png
I used to do that but my macOS MacBook Pro motherboard decided on a permanent vacation so I now rely on telling them I'm running Linux Mint, works also.

Reaction score

Those are fraudulent companies. A real company would never contact you first by phone or call you telling you your PC is broke. Non-fraud will wait for you to call them. They can find your phone number anywhere on the internet. Just by googling your name.

bassfisher6522

Reaction score
the point is I am getting no such notice from Microsoft but been getting a ton of phone calls from companies wanting to fix my computer .
Do not indulge in such phone calls......I repeat....do not indulge. This are scammers. MS will never ever call to fix your computer.

Reaction score
is there a Microsoft license that needs to be renewed ? my computer original system was Win 8.1 up graded to win 10. Sorry if this is a stupid question but I have to know if there is such a thing ?
No such thing. The calls are all Scams. Most everybody gets them. I don't even answer the phone any more. I let the answering machine screen all calls.

Michael Bell

Mickey B
Reaction score
I like that Mac Ideal , that's a good one. The calls are coming from a Unavailable user and a unknown number , so far ATT an not clock a call that is coming from caller with out a phone number. Any ideals blocking those calls?

Reaction score
I like that Mac Ideal , that's a good one. The calls are coming from a Unavailable user and a unknown number , so far ATT an not clock a call that is coming from caller with out a phone number. Any ideals blocking those calls?
blocking those calls is futile, they just use a different caller ID (even your own) to get to you. Like Comp Cmndo said, I also let the answering machine screen the calls. Most scammer hang up if they hear the answering machine.

Ask a Question