License key for free windows 10 upgrade

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Bruce R Myers, Aug 4, 2015.

1. Bruce R Myers

Bruce R Myers

Just a quick Question. I upgraded from win 7 to win 10. It went flawless. I used magic Jelly Bean to extract the win 10 license key from my PC. In the future if I have to use my win 10 software on my flash drive to install again( on the same PC) will that license key work or do you really need the license key when installing it on the same PC?

Bruce R Myers, Aug 4, 2015
    Wiredwullff likes this.
    1. Advertisements

2. Bruce R Myers

clifford_cooley

Windows 10 stores the key somewhere on the machine, so you shouldn't manually need the key at anytime. I'm guessing the key is stored in the motherboard BIOS, but I'm not certain about that. This is why you can perform a clean install after which the upgrade has completed. The upgrade process places the key where it needs to be for the clean install to find.

clifford_cooley, Aug 4, 2015
    Wiredwullff likes this.
    1. Advertisements

3. Bruce R Myers

Bruce R Myers

If you bought a PC with win 10 on it it would be stored in the Bios, but as for an upgrade it couldn't burn it to the bios useless you did a firmware upgrade and that requires electronically burning it to the Bios chip on the mother board. That didn't happen on my upgrade. Thanks for the reply. I'm just hoping that extracting the key with jell bean will be enough but this is a whole new license issue with Win 10.

Wiredwullff likes this.
  4. Bruce R Myers

Trouble Noob Whisperer Moderator

SOURCE: http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/wind...Upgrade_SEM_BNG_MSBranded_ACTV_en-US_sitelink
    In my experience you will not need a license key under those circumstances.
    I've performed a clean install already without issue. When prompted (both times beginning and end of install) I chose to skip / do this later and never entered a product key at all.

Trouble, Aug 4, 2015
    Wiredwullff likes this.
  5. Bruce R Myers

clifford_cooley

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/...ense-key/0df52673-2764-4096-86ce-802a4213c40e

clifford_cooley, Aug 4, 2015
  6. Bruce R Myers

davidhk129

Product key is NOT needed if you are to re-install Win 10 after successful initial upgraded and successful activated.

reinstall after upgraded.jpg

davidhk129, Aug 4, 2015
  7. Bruce R Myers

Bruce R Myers

Thanks for the info, I know new win 8 computers have the key embedded in the bios, but an upgrade from 7 to 10 wont have it burned in the Bios. Thanks for the tip on retrieving the license key from the computers that do have them embedded.

8. Bruce R Myers

Jake B

New Windows 10 have the key embedded the issue is when you upgrade the process is different. When you upgrade it checks if you key on the OS your upgrading from is valid. The is takes and picture of your machine and stores your machine and Windows 10 info on Microsoft's server. It also links you info to your MS account if you use your MS account to login. You can install Windows 10 as many time as you want on that machine and it uses the into on the MS server and your MS account to activate the new install.

When you purchase a new PC with WIndows 10 the OS is installed in the factory.

Jake B, Jun 13, 2018
  9. Bruce R Myers

Bighorn

I wonder if Mr. Myers is still around.
    upload_2018-6-13_13-3-12.png upload_2018-6-13_13-3-12.png

Bighorn, Jun 13, 2018
  10. Bruce R Myers

Trouble Noob Whisperer Moderator

The thread was born August 3, 2015 and soon to celebrate its' third birthday.
    I'm thinking replies at this point, might fall on deaf ears.

Trouble, Jun 13, 2018
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question