Keeping license while replacing the hard disk

Reaction score
Years ago I purchased license for Windows XP, after that license to upgrade to V7. Now I use V 10. I would like to replace my hard disk. Should I start again from XP?

Reaction score
NO you don't have to do that! You can clone your current disk and then just replace the old one and off you go.
There are several software kits to do cloning. I like Paragon but if you were going to replace a HDD with an SSD then the SSD manufacturer would often provide the cable and software. You can do this job connecting the new disk to SATA or to USB ( which is slower). I have done this both ways myself.

If you tell us about your PC we can be more detailed

Reaction score
Thanks, Tim
I would like to reformulate the question.

Years ago, I purchased license for Windows XP, after that license to upgrade to V7. Now I use V 10.

I would like to place only Windows on a small SSD disk and keep all other data on the hard disk.
Should I start again from XP?
Could I install a clean V10 Windows without any threads of XP, V7, V8 and V8.1?

Reaction score
Although doing that you'll probably have to re-install applications. Which can be more of a pain , because of configuration files and data, that installing the o/s

Reaction score
Just in case, Windows 10 will install cleanly after you have upgraded a system. It has to upgrade and then set up the digital chit which shows that system is Activated.

If you have fulfilled the requirements of the first statement, I would suggest you disconnect the other drive while installing Widows 10. As Tim mentions, you applications will not be reinstalled automatically but you should be able recover your apps.

Reaction score
Thanks for all inputs.
There is no problem for me to reinstall applications.
I would like to purchase a new computer with SSD and a hard disk.
As I mentioned, on SSD I would like to place only Windows.
Could you please explain me how should I perform a clean V 10 installation, step by step?

Reaction score
A license doesn't transfer to a new system, if that is what you want to do.

To do a clean install, download the install media or download the .ISO file and create a bootable USB drive or a bootable DVD. Be we can go over that when you get the new system, assuming it does not already have an OS installed. There are many places you can find the steps to install.

Reaction score
Many apps insist on being loaded on the C drive. For historical reasons. But once W10 is loaded you can make sure that all your data is on the other drive.

Ask a Question