Keeping separate keyboard languages online and other programs

Reaction score
Hello, I am a professional translator and use different keyboards for different languages. When I was using Windows 7 I could be online in one language, for example using the German keyboard to type a German word into an online dictionary and English when I was working in Word. All without having to change the keyboard language. However, now with Windows 10 I need to change keyboard language when I go online to type in German and back again when writing in English in Word. Is there any way around this? Although I use shortcuts to change from one language to another (and I sometimes use other languages too, so the shortcuts can become pretty long) it takes up time, since I often need to look up several words in a single sentence. Thank you for any help...

Regedit32

Reaction score
Hi Sten,

Welcome to the Forum.

If you right-click on Start and select Settings > Time & language you can then select Region & language in the left pane of the open window.

You'll now see a list of languages installed on your System. In my case there is English NZ and French:

Sample image

language1.png

To add another language just click the Add a language button

The language listed at the top is the first choice for keyboard layout, so if I wanted to switch to French, I'll need to click the EN down on the taskbar to swap.

Now in this same window on the right side click on Additional data, time, & regional settings

That will open this window:

language2.png

Under the Language click Change input methods then on left pane click Advanced settings

That will bring you to this window:

language3.png

I have highlighted the bottom section of this window. I suspect in your case you will need to remove the check there to be able to use multilingual keyboard on websites.

Regards,

Regedit32

Reaction score
HI,

if you have more than one language installed, click on the language button showing on the bottom right of the panel and select which keyboard you want!. :)

swich languages.JPG

Also, in Word, make sure you have all the desired languages installed that you need!. :)

word language options.JPG

Last edited:
Reaction score
Is it the language, or the spell check which is your concern.
I use an international keyboard, I can type, according to key selection, in either language. (English or Danish in my case) The spell check , of course, can be applied when in word with the hints above.

Here is one of many examples

https://www.branah.com/german

Ask a Question