Logical Volume loosing Driver Letter assignment

Reaction score
I have problem that's just started about a month ago, I can't attribute it to any update, system change or software and there is no indication that I can see in the event logs as to it's cause.

The mountpoint/drive letter to one of the logical volumes on a RAID array keeps disappearing. There are other logical volumes on the RAID array so I can rule out hardware, and the disks that make up the array are not reporting any errors in SMART so I'm confident it's not a disk error. It appears that Windows is arbitrarily removing the assigned driver letter for some reason?

I've setup a script that checks if the volume is mounted, and re-assigs the driver letter if it's not, but the problem is still annoying.

Anybody ever see this before (it's not related to starting the PC, it's 'usually' assigned if I restart, but disappears later on) or have any suggestions on what could be causing it?

Reaction score
It's been a few hours since your post and my curiosity working but how about more details about the RAID setup? How many physical drives, how many primary partitions? Are they MBR or GPT? My understanding is an MBR drive can have up to 4 Primary or 3 Primary plus 1 Logical partition/s. The GPT can have up to 138 Primary partitions. My reference for that understanding is https://www.easeus.com/partition-master/logical-vs-primary.html . I don't need RAID as I have 2 x 2TB NAS drives attached to my Router. In light of your issue I think I'd go with the GPT and all Primary partitions, GPT doesn't allow Logical.

Ask a Question