Groove volume volume control

bassfisher6522

Reaction score
Does anybody have any idea how to turn off that annoying Groove volume control panel? The same kind of thing when using Chrome.....I've got the Chrome volume control off. This Groove volume thing is worse. Freaking MS!

Reaction score
Hi bassfisher6522,

I don't use it but I would think that uninstalling the Groove Music app itself would do it for you?. :)

1585503103993.png

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
how to turn off that annoying Groove volume control panel?
Not exactly sure what the "Groove volume control panel" is.
Can you explain what exactly you're doing that produces the "panel".
Are you using your keyboard to control your sound volume?

I long ago switched my default music player to Windows Media Player in default apps.
Not sure if that is necessarily any better than what you are currently experiencing.
When I double click an mp3 file Media Player launches instead of Grove Music App.

IF it is showing in the volume mixer I don't know how you might disable it.
Pretty sure that Microsoft considers this function a "feature" and not an annoying bug.

PS...
After doing some searching around, I've found what is evidently an "app for that"
Apparently, it doesn't disable it, but will allow you to "hide" it, so....
Not sure if that helps or not

PS:pS....
See if this might help with your Chrome issue

Last edited:

bassfisher6522

Reaction score
Thanks Trouble. I've already have the key extension disabled with "Flags" in chrome. I've know that trick for some years now.

I use the MS "Groove" music app. I like it better the windows media player I'll see if the hide trick works and keep you posted.

bassfisher6522

Reaction score
Nope.....that volume display is fine. it's this piece of crap

groove.PNG

As you can see the groove symbol on the right. It only appears when using the app. That is what I want to hide or disable. Freaking MS!

I can't find anything in the Groove app settings....but being so freaking blind now I might not be seeing it.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
OK.... I got nothing.
That image looks like some kind of mini-player or something.
Those types of OSDs (On Screen Displays) are generally produced by multimedia keyboards and can generally be controlled by the software packages that come with such keyboards.
I think even Microsoft's own IntelliType keyboards and software have something that allows you to toggle that stuff on and off.

Reaction score
It's been a quite while since the last answer was answered for this thread but I have just created an account to answer this question. I really acknowledge your problem because MS doesn't care about consistent design and organized PARTS of the operating system and I suffered from this too. Although most of the people think Windows 8.1's design is garbage, IT'S NOT. I am on Windows 8.1 right now and i can tell you Windows 8.1's design is not consistent but at least it's metro design and desktop environment is completely independent from each other. Probably I was too verbose. These images and explanations won't solve your issue but it will change the way you're looking at this OSD and Windows 10.
First of all, that disgusting Groove icon. In Windows 8.1, it has very elegant icon that shows MS worked on this icon specifically for the Music app. They share the same icons with the Music app.
1.png

Secondly, Some people may remember the charm bar which shows some buttons on the right and time, date and the internet connection on the left bottom when opened. That time and date overlay was designed same with volume overlay in Windows 8.1 and they are coordinate. They have same background color, same shapes, same font.
2.png

Thirdly, not only the icon, control buttons (previous, play/pause, next) were designed specifically for the app. They both share the same button design (which must be in an OS for better visual). These buttons from the Music app appears when you enter now playing fullscreen mode.
3.png

And lastly, even looks you are not complainant of this, the slider (independent from media control overlay, always appear not like the media thing when nothing is played) was a part of the OS. This image shows that the left one is which appears when you try to adjust your volume from the keyboard, the right one is which when you try to adjust your volume from the charm bar (charm bar>settings>volume).
4.png

They share the same design language. If you try to adjust your volume from the taskbar on Windows 10, you will see that it is reworked not like the overlay I showed above.

Conclusion: You shouldn't cry because of this crap because we learned that MS didn't make any sh*t for Windows 10, they just copied it from its predecessor. So you have two options: Imagine that MS will rework it and live with it. If you can't, you can install HideVolumeOSD program, but it hides everything, even the slider. The other option is switch to a different OS.
Apologies for spelling and grammar mistakes.

Ask a Question