Unknown volume \\?\Volume(6620cc6-e723...

Reaction score
When I just created a system restore point, I noticed that in addition to C: and D:Restore, I have a strange volume that begins with \\?\Volume(6620cc6-e723...
What is it?

Reaction score
Hi tagr,

it is quite possibly a recovery partition on your drive, open Computer Manager > Disk Management and post a screenshot of your partition layout please!.

You will get something like the pic below: :)

1588315337026.png

Reaction score
Hi tagr,

it is quite possibly a recovery partition on your drive, open Computer Manager > Disk Management and post a screenshot of your partition layout please!.

You will get something like the pic below: :)

View attachment 11667
I understand EFI and Recovery partitions, but was confused by the strange name: \\?\Volume(6620cc6-e723..
diskmgt1.jpg
diskmgt2.jpg

Reaction score
Hi tagr,

did you create the partitions yourself or were they done by the OEM install?. It does seem an odd size (1.69GB) and it also says it is a recovery partition, it was possibly created by the Windows installer but I have never seen something like that!. :rolleyes:

Reaction score
Appreciate your response! I don't mess with partitions, so Windows must have done it. D: has already been the recovery partition.

Reaction score
If it were me, I would first of all make an image of the computer onto an ecternal, using something likr macrium, just as a precaution. Then delete that partition and extend c.

Reaction score
Appreciate your response! I don't mess with partitions, so Windows must have done it. D: has already been the recovery partition.
Normally an OEM recovery partition would not even show as they remain hidden afaik?. Dave's advice is sound but check and see if there are any files on the partition before you delete it and resize C:. ;)

Reaction score
Maybe my wording was bad? I am not suggesting the OEM! Only the mystery partition. (Disk 0 Part 4)

Reaction score
Have you ever had any external hard drive connected which lost it’s driver letter or became corrupted?
What about any cloud drive?

Reaction score
Maybe my wording was bad? I am not suggesting the OEM! Only the mystery partition. (Disk 0 Part 4)
No Dave, your wording is fine, an OEM partition won't normally show in File manager so my wording is off a bit!. It will/should show in Disk Manager though!. :)

Reaction score
I think, if he follows my suggestion, he'll be fine. I would add, though, that before he deletes, he gives it a letter like "Z", to ensure he is deleting the right one!
One other observation, connected with Bastet's remark, the figure "7" seems to indicate the possibility that, at some stage, there could have been a Windows 7 installation involved.

Ask a Question