Unknown hard error + Black screen after update

Reaction score
Hello!

I hope you will be able to help me on that one because I am simply desperate. Yesterday my Windows 10 downloaded and installed a huge update, I think that's the April one.

Today when I opened Windows, I had "unknown hard error" and couldn't access the desktop. I still haven't since then. I tried several steps I found on Internet such as safe mode, /scannow + disks, etc... doesn't work. I rebooted the PC a first time to deactivate the automatic Microsoft update, but whenever I tried to go through safe mode or not, it just says "hello, we have new updates for you" after I've logged it. Then it does it and then I have a black screen with cursor, and I can open task manager. But it always black screen once the update has been done. So I rebooted another time, retried the update, black screen again...

I'm sure the problem comes from the update, but as I cannot block it before it actually updates, I'm stuck and simply cannot access the desktop.

Please please would anybody help? I'm literally desperate I've been trying all day.

Thanks so much'

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Do you have any USB connected devices attached.....
Dongles of any sort, Bluetooth, wireless keyboard, mouse, WiFi dongle, USB Printer, external USB connected drive or thumb drive??
Disconnect them all and see if the upgrade will complete successfully.

Do you have any third party security suite software installed?
Uninstall it completely and follow that up by using the vendor specific, proprietary removal tool supplied by the software manufacturer..... Google for it.

Reaction score
Hi Trouble!

Thanks a lot for your reply. I had the mouse plugged the first time, but I tried the update a second time without the mouse plugged (after the second reboot), and it did not change...

Third party security suite? I am not sure what it is exactly, but I had Avast (McAfee is the normal antivirus on the laptop), Malwarebytes and Skybot. But as I rebooted the system, they all were deleted. Sorry if this not what you are talking about?

Many thanks for your help again

Reaction score
Same thing, just finished the windows 10 update (it took days to update) and now have a black screen, and it says
Location is not available
c:\windows\system32\config\systemprofile\desktop is unavailable???

Reaction score
Thank you, just tried, and that didn't work for me. The windows shift control b nor the pressing power button 3 times =(

Reaction score
Same thing, just finished the windows 10 update (it took days to update) and now have a black screen, and it says
Location is not available
c:\windows\system32\config\systemprofile\desktop is unavailable???

I do not have that path on mine as well. On my PC it is like this:
C:\Windows\System32\config\systemprofile\AppData then the normal folders of {Local}, {LocalLow} and {Roaming}

Is it possible that your Hard drive may be on the brink of failing??

Ask a Question