SOLVED Unknown Update?

Reaction score
On 20th December I reinstalled the Fall Creators Update, as per my earlier thread. Everything working well.
Two days ago I checked my emails and got a brief message that Windows was checking compatibility of the program.
Today I ran my weekly malware checks, Malwarebytes, SuperAntiSpyware and Spybot Search and Destroy.
Each program told me it hadn't been updated for 12 days (they had been updated for New Year!), and Spybot offered setting up a Whitelist - something it only does on the first run.
Checking around I found that my Windows.old folder is now dated 02/01/2018 (2nd Jan 2018) whereas it was dated 20/12/2017 - approx. 12 days earlier.
Update History still shows the feature update as 20/12/2018.
Any reason why Windows.old has been re-dated and some programs acting as though they are newly installed?
The malware checks did not reveal anything out of the ordinary.

Reaction score
Hi Ginkas,

I don't know myself but if you don't need the folder "Windows.old", you could delete it as long as you have saved all you need from the folder!. ;)

Maybe one of the others has a better idea?. :)

Reaction score
Thanks, been thinking about that.
I'm more interested in why the change.
I see that "Go back to a previous version..." is no longer available.
This is to be expected 10 days after the update, and Windows10.old is supposed to be deleted automatically.
Why it has been re-dated to 2nd Jan mystifies me.

I like to know what is going on with my computer and, if possible, why.
Looking through various posts and sites this Fall update appears to have many different unexpected results on different computers.

Reaction score
Just a bit more info.
Restore point for my main drive had, again, been turned off!
Happens every time there's a feature update, Windows 10 drops back to default mode on many things.
The last restore point was made 1/1/18, so 'something' happened after New Year.

Regedit32

Reaction score
Check the Forum posts Ginkas.

I posted a bulletin regarding a major Security update from Microsoft which was needed to prevent some third party antivirus programs from stop coding and preventing windows from booting.

All the antivirus vendors are working on patches to fix the problem.

Reaction score
Thanks Regedit32, interesting read.
Downloaded and ran the Intel DiscoveryTool and it reported my machine was not at risk.
My basic antivirus is Windows Defender with occasional checks by Malwarebytes, etc.
Last Security Update was KB4054517.

Interestingly, the 'Windows.old' folder shows 0 bytes.

Reaction score
If it is empty and you are certain it is, delete it. ;) That is what I would do at least!. :)

Reaction score
Although 0 bytes it showed 692 folders.
The folders had internet explorer links or other 'odd' .ms designations.
Have now deleted the folder although it took a while showing many thousands of items and quite a large size in GBs.
Just odd about the date changes, the next folder in "Windows" was dated 04/01/2018

Ask a Question