SOLVED Shut out from startup login by message for (unknown) password

Reaction score
Acer laptop Win 10_1511_english_x64. Have DVD installation/recovery for this created from ISO Dec15 as upgrade for Win8.1.
In short I have been scammed at end Mar17 (no financial loss as I don't do internet banking) but they left a virus? which shuts me out of startup login unless I can provide an unknown password.
Think I have tried most recovery disc options & all got part way through the process but reported a problem unable to continue. This included the last resort today of removing everything with the re-installation of Win 10.
Is a new HDD the only answer & if so how do I proceed as far as Microsofts authorised upgrade?

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Have DVD installation/recovery for this created from ISO Dec15
The first thing I think I would do is make sure that I, in fact, had the latest installation media available
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/sof...459594)(TnL5HPStwNw-WaTVja5C7z2Vs7q82apCPg)()
Using the tool to create installation media (USB flash drive, DVD, or ISO file) to install Windows 10 on a different PC
With that in hand I would then boot the computer from that and perform the installation (not an upgrade) use the Install Now link and install to the same drive / partition as your current installation.
NOTE: You will be warned that there is an existing installation and that, that will end up in a folder called Windows.OLD (not a bad thing, as you will likely be able to retrieve some if not all of your critical data from there).
Although you will of course need to re-install all your applications again, but.....
At this point I'm not sure what your other options might be.
In short I have been scammed at end Mar17 (no financial loss as I don't do internet banking) but they left a virus? which shuts me out of startup login unless I can provide an unknown password.
I assume your "scammer" installed "SysKey" or something similar, which in the past I've always been able to get by using various tools, however recently I ran into it on a Windows 10 PC and was not able to overcome it using any of the techniques I had previously been able to use. Not sure if it's because Windows 10 handles SysKey differently than previous Windows versions or IF there is something different about the SAM database in Windows 10.
Is a new HDD the only answer
That shouldn't be necessary, although it certainly is a viable option, especially if you want to keep the contents of your current drive intact (such as it is).
& if so how do I proceed as far as Microsofts authorised upgrade?
An install on a new hard drive or a re-install on your current drive will not have any impact on your rights to activate Windows 10 again on that computer.
You'll just need to make sure that you re-install the identical version (home or pro) -> (32 or 64 bit).
That should satisfy Microsoft's records of your installation of Windows 10 on that computer and allow for a problem free activation upon completion

Reaction score
Hi Trouble, Thanks for quick response. I will definitely get the latest version ISO to create a new DVD probably using the method you advised me on different post if I get confused using your new link.

On my isp help service they stated that some scammers will now use encryption so there is no known remedy to remove/alter the syskey password they installed, but all that is beyond me.

It will be a while before I can follow this action (other just as urgent commitments) so I won't return to report or follow any others I may get until yours is fully tried.

Reaction score
Hi - I have followed Trouble's link to download latest ISO using my Vista PC. Download was very slow, kept failing but with repeated Retry download completed some 15 minutes after the 24hour allotted window.

I have then used BurnAwareFree to write the bootable ISO (ImgBurn was blocked as a PUP by Malwarebytes).
Could see no reason for 'Install Now' not to work, but I have had no success in getting to that screen, even after trying various combinations of boot options. Most ended at the same password screen. Changed boot mode from UEFI to legacy which mentioned runtime error R6003 and ended at a prompt [DR-DOS] A:\ > so switched off & reverted to UEFI. At this stage I downloaded to my Vista PC a free trial of MagicISO to check that my DVD was 'bootable' & this program does confirm it as 'bootable'.

Very disappointed that my knowledge would not safely try any further meddling with boot options although some of the settings looked strange, such as HDD password marked 'frozen'. So I did try setting a Supervisor password (which Help says controls access to whole setup utility & can be used to bootup when Password on Boot is 'Enabled'), even though it was already set at 'disabled'. However this password did not allow access to change HDD password 'Frozen' nor Secure Boot Mode 'Standard'.

Always considered that doing a fresh Install was the last resort if other recovery methods fail; unless I am missing an operation. I don't understand how this screen requesting a password can appear when I am booting from a bootable DVD?

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
There comes a time where everyone needs to realize that perhaps a professional needs to get involved.
Perhaps do a search for local computer shops near you and check their ratings and see if perhaps one of those might be able to assist you in your efforts.

Reaction score
There comes a time where everyone needs to realize that perhaps a professional needs to get involved.
Perhaps do a search for local computer shops near you and check their ratings and see if perhaps one of those might be able to assist you in your efforts.

Hi, Thanks Trouble, you have confirmed what I expected would be the outcome once I couldn't get into the latest ISO, but it was worth a try. Have therefore marked thread as solved

Ask a Question