Windows 10 shuts down after a few minutes after startup but runs fine in safe mode?

Reaction score
Hi,
I just got my brothers old computer and he installed the free "Update to Windows 10" before i got it. The startup runs fine but within minutes the computer shuts down with no warning. Sometimes so fast that I can't enter controlpanel and other times I have a few minutes before shutdown. Yesterday I tried to run in Safe Mode and there it seems to run fine?!

What to do?

I have tried following:
- Clean install of the graphics card driver.
- uninstall the graphics driver.
- uninstall anything related to the graphics card.
- Download and install the latest driver
- disable the automatic restart of the PC. http://www.eightforums.com/tutorials/51683-system-failu...

Reaction score
You seem to be concentrating on the Video Adapter as the cause of the situation. It may be but is the computer actually shutting down or just loosing its video?

As you probably know it working in Safe Mode would seem to indicate it is some device or driver for that device causing the problem. Have you checked the Event Viewer to see if any warning or error messages are showing up, especially around the time when the shutdowns happen?

You might look at the Device Manger and see if any devices are showing with yellow marks.

Also, check the settings and Update page to see if any updates are available or trying to be installed.

Reaction score
I just solved my problems yesterday.
All the driver-issues were fixed with reinstalling Windows 10, og the power-issue required a new powersupply.
So I hope all the problems are gone for now
smile.gif

Thanks for the answers!

Reaction score
Glad you fixed it. Seems odd, nevertheless, that it was ok in safe mode. Sounds like (maybe) there was nothing seriously wrong with the power supply, but it was giving false indications to Windows 10. - Solved with driver updates??

Reaction score
Glad you fixed it. Seems odd, nevertheless, that it was ok in safe mode. Sounds like (maybe) there was nothing seriously wrong with the power supply, but it was giving false indications to Windows 10. - Solved with driver updates??

I think the whole driver-issue startede when upgrade from 7 to 10 and the only fix was af total clean re-install. In the beginning it was okay in safe-mode but once or twice it also made a shut down in safe-mode. My theory about the powersupply is that every time I started some installation or just made some stuff where the computer needed more power it just shut down. After the re-install (before I changed the powersupply) I tried to install Google Chrome it chrashed and so it went on whit even small or smaller programs. So in my head it made sense with a partielly defect powersupply.

Well it worked for me...so far ;)

Reaction score
I have a problem whereby my laptop after starting it up it indicates shutting down on the blue screen with the white rotating dots and stays like that

Ask a Question