Windows 10 shuts down instead of sleep when idle.

Reaction score
My Lenovo desktop with AMD 10 microprocessor started to power off instead of sleep about 3 weeks ago. This was immediately after installing a MS update. I assumed that it was caused by the update but while investigating another problem I noticed a service running in the background named AdaptiveSleepService. After stopping this service the shutdown stopped and now just sleeps via the power settings. The idea behind this service is to save battery for laptop computers but mine is a desktop so not sure how this service was installed and started. I'm posting this because it was an elusive problem to solve.

You can check if this is your problem by entering in lower left "Type here to search" field "services". Then select services desktop app. Look at the services display and see if the AdaptiveSleepService is running. If the service is found and running then click on it and select "stop". This should keep your computer from shutting down when idle.

Adaptive.JPG

I hope this helps?

Regedit32

Reaction score
Hi Howdy,

Welcome to the Forum.

Thanks for sharing your tip, as no doubt there are some members and guests coming to this Forum using the same brand computer as yours, who may not be aware of this.

Regards,

Regedit32

Ask a Question