Lost/missing folder on desktop

Reaction score
I had a folder on my desktop that i kept important apps, documents and files in after decluttering that seems to have randomly disappeared. My first thought is that I may have deleted it by accident or moved it to a different drive while mass selecting pictures, but it doesn't make sense. I say this because I run a live wallpaper app that's always running and the mp4 file it uses was located in that folder on my desktop.

When i went to turn off my pc for the night the wallpaper was still running, so that means that file was still on the C :drive and hadn't been moved or deleted. Also there were files still in my recycle bin, so I know I didn't delete anything. Still the next morning the folder was gone.

I've ran 3 different types of recovery software, couldn't find any files. I've used the search bar in windows explorer to search all my drives and can't find anything. It's not hidden or invisible, there was no update and it wasn't removed to quarantine. I've tried everything and don't where else to look.

I'm open for suggestions because I have no idea where it could have gone or how to recover it. I spent years procuring everything in that folder and there are also some important documents in there as well.

i appreciate any help.

Reaction score
You can. of course, restore all items in the recycle Bin.

But, have a look in the "cloud"

Reaction score
When i went to turn off my pc for the night the wallpaper was still running, so that means that file was still on the C :drive and hadn't been moved or deleted
It is possible the file is still in memory and will be or was gone when next rebooted/restarted but usually there's a warning a file can't be deleted if it is still in use.

Ask a Question