Help! Lost control, entries being made automatically

Reaction score
Hard to sum up in a single sentence subject. Typing and possibly mouse clicks is occurring automatically. Alsmost all apps affected. Couldn't use my usual Waterfox or Firefox to send this so I'm doing so in Chrome, which so far seems OK. (Hope I can Send this!)
For example:
Win10 Run box rapidly displaying all entries in the drop-down box

Excel: When freshly opened, all columns are being rapidly selected

Most other apps behaving in similar wild fashion.

Control Panel > Mouse > Pointer Options > Motion (where I went looking for clues) immediately takes speed to extreme right and will not let me change it

Windows Security reports no action necessary.

Malaware scan found nothing.

Restarted PC, still the same.

Last edited:

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
I think I would start with the keyboard and mouse.
Unplug / disconnect them both.
Plug them back in one and a time, maybe using alternate ports and watch the behavior.

I have seen this happen before with a couple AiO (All In Ones) that had touch screen monitors. Not sure if it was driver issues or the physical interface became damaged.
Had to go into Device Manager and disable it.

Reaction score
there could be multiple issues but i doubt it is a virus but i would check the device manager for issues then open an admin powershell and type sfc /scannow and tell me what it says also try creating a second user then once the sfc command finishes try running DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Restorehealth

Reaction score
there could be multiple issues but i doubt it is a virus but i would check the device manager for issues then open an admin powershell and type sfc /scannow and tell me what it says also try creating a second user then once the sfc command finishes try running DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Restorehealth
Thanks. I'd tried the usual things: restart, sfc, reboot, shake keyboard to get rid of crumbs, press the buttons on underside of Logitech 660 wireless KB and the nearby receiver, uninstall keyboards in Device Mgr and restart. No joy. But after all that I then switched the ports to which the receiver was connected a couple of times, and after the latest restart normal behaviour was thankfully back. BTW there were (and still are) three entries in Device Manager > Keyboard, all identically but unhelpfully named 'HID Keyboard Device', which puzzles me. Why not just one?

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
BTW there were (and still are) three entries in Device Manager > Keyboard, all identically but unhelpfully named 'HID Keyboard Device', which puzzles me
That happens when we change ports.
Use the View tab from Device Manager menu bar and select show hidden devices.
The entries that are greyed out are typically no longer connected (at least not as it was formerly) and can be safely uninstalled / removed, with a right click.
You'll likely see something similar when you expand the mice section.
I've never actually considered this behavior as anything important that required attention, but I suppose cleaning it up every once in a while, isn't a bad thing.
I guess it takes some resources to parse that detail and enumerate disconnected devices in that list.
Don't mess with the tick box concerning drivers, you still need those.

Ask a Question