Help, lost over a dozen computers to a virus

Reaction score
Trough means of user invisible backdoors, a virus disguised as an improvement, transmitted itself to my computers and during the period of roughly a year, automatically all by itself without any user even touching it made more than a dozen of them unexpectedly as usable as a brick (they don't even boot up anymore) while offering a catalogue of interminable unfixable catastrophic errors.

On the remaining barely functional ones, the virus is every single day eating gigabytes of memory for breakfast and dozens of gigabytes after gigabytes of hard drive space for lunch non stop and what my computers used to do in 10 minutes is now taking a quarter of hour or more.

I first got suspicious when I saw useless 30 year old features poping up being advertised as "new features" while some established foundational features vanished into smoke... which made me thing something was not right... but it only got confirmed further more when my programs stopped opening/working and to make even most menial tasks, the operators now have to jump through even more hoops and make even bigger juggling acts just to keep the machines afloat.

It is obvious the computers are internally fighting to be able to simply remain turned on, because on some of the most infected computers they have to be restarted once a minute while the normally infected ones only stall/crash or simply cut power during mid-functioning twice a day only, leading to irreversible corruption and loss of vital information that in many cases cost years of work.

After a quick investigation it jumped into clarity the infernal costs and devastation that the writer of this recent outbreak of "Windows 10" virus accomplished in less than a year is far greater than the devastation caused by any writer of top viruses such as "I love you" or "Salinity".

This situation has left me looking directly at the costs of putting back any kind of operating system that actually does operate, like Windows XP or Ubuntu.

Reaction score
Keeping original images are an efficient way of solving virus problems. The proviso is that you do not make an image, containing the virus, of course.
But, for the benefit of other members, could you tell us what the virus name was? Would it not also be able to attack (your comment) XP?

Reaction score
Dave the 'virus' he is talking about is Windows 10 itself.

bidohrama, the cost of replacing W10 on your machines is very low, except in time, if you are prepared to use Ubuntu or Mint perhaps.

Reaction score
if you are prepared to use Ubuntu or Mint
x86 programs for design/orders/accounting UDP dependent and using hardware cardkeys and whatnot... all very windowish environment, you see? Wine is great but only to a certain point. Maybe virtual machines for extra x86 compatibility, perhaps.

Good luck to him with XP.
Luck is factored out of the equation using Windows XP... that's the whole point... so that no one has to go to bed every night praying for a daily miracle just for basics like keep the machines working always afraid of waking up in the morning to find everything turned into poop without anyone even touching it or finding our confidential information "legally" hijacked by foreign companies like the operating system manufacturer.

On top of all, 15 seconds boot up time instead of 40 seconds, flashdrive write speeds of 1 gigabyte per minute instead of 1 gigabyte in 3m45s, 1 hard drive partition instead of many hidden partitions, snappy OS instead of a constantly freezing with programs not responding one and a real start menu that the operators can actually drag a document and whatnot to the startup folder and have it automatically open every time the computer is turned on and rearrange the folders and subfolders on it...

for my surprise the users were super happy with that one... which already existed for 20 years... in many aspect old stuff is a lot better than this new recycled stuff nowadays.

After dealing with UEFI/GPT and installing a security suite, to compensate for microsoft's XP lack of support, updated daily I proceeded to even show them one of the dead machines running all their workspace application in an XP flavor that occupied only 290Mb... that's a quarter of a gigabyte instead of dozens of them. With cheap drive space it is not an issue but the most important was that in that test the windows 10 machine turned into poop in 2.5h with all kinds of "unhandled system exceptions", "sessions with valid views" and "paging in non-paged areas" and countless other BS. People were scandalized by the price/value of this "Free updated OS".

Reaction score
You did not say in your initial post that you were running specialized business(?) applications with some specialized hardware ( the cardkeys)

Reaction score
To clarify:
We all know that Windows 10 phones home. We all know that it installed on some peoples PC's without permission. Your best bet is to install Windows 7 on your PC's, and be happy about it. Windows XP is dead, unless you want to deal with a real, destructive malware. If you don't run any Windows specific programs, I'd suggest Mint. I use it everyday, as I do Ubuntu Gnome, Windows 10, Windows 8.1, Windows 7, and to a lesser extent Windows XP (offline only).

No sense in beating a dead horse. Go with the OS you are comfortable. I have zero choice. I need DirectX 12 support. Otherwise I would be happy to go back to Windows 8.1 on my main PC.

Ask a Question