May 10, 2022 Monthly Update. KB5013942 - Breaks Event Viewer.

Reaction score
Updated my 3 computers this morning with this update.

One computer (an old desktop Lenovo) installed without any issues.

On my two other computers, this update has 'broken' Event Viewer.After starting Event Viewer, it just shows as loading, then after several minutes it crashes with a Not Responding error. The only way to close it is with Task Manager. Both computers rebooted several times,and Event Viewer retried. Crashes again each time.

Also being reported by several users in the Reddit Windows 10 sub.

Anyone else here getting this problem?

Reaction score
I’ve not checked event viewer but for me the May update has slowed my laptop down to a crawl. I play Big Fish games & these are crashing or freezing since patch Tuesday.
I uninstalled both updates & no more slowdowns or freezes.
I believe Microsoft have now recommended users not to install the May updates.

Reaction score
Also breaks Sysprep. generalize phase. If you're using a golden image and syprep it, you need to remove KB5013942 and/or KB5013942 before Syprep runs.

Reaction score
By the time I read this thread, I had already installed the windows May updates. I have not had any noticeable problems. Just checked the event viewer, - seems ok.

I was very anxious to read this " believe Microsoft have now recommended users not to install the May updates".
Unfortunately, apart from a quote on another tech page, I was not able to find a direct statement from Microsoft.

Any offers?

Ask a Question