SOLVED Error Encountered "A Current Driver On your pc may be better than the driver we're trying to install"

Reaction score
When auto installing w10 updates to Toshiba Satellite c50D.
This shows up on more than one web search. Tried backing out updates, but cannot find which driver is causing this.
Seen some suggestions and tried most, unsuccessfully!

Reaction score
I have seen this. Installing a new graphics driver a week before a cumulative update. Haven't seen it for a year or two.

Reaction score
Hi Ted,

it will just mean that the driver the updater was going to install will bypass the proposed driver update and leave the current driver version alone, you don't need to worry too much!. ;)

Reaction score
Thanks for replies. Think I've narrowed it down to the Alps driver. Tried deleting & reinstalling Windows 10, but it came back after each effort.
I now see that other updates get installed OK even though this error is shown all the time.

So, will wait & see what develops.

Reaction score
Hi Ted,

I would bin the driver tool as they often create more problems than they solve!. Any available driver updates (normally excludes GPU drivers but might include them!) will show up in the Windows update window as "Optional updates"!.

Reaction score
I am now happy that I have this under control. Last week I was still seeing the error and the message "A current Driver on your pc...etc"
I also noticed that the laptop no longer had any sound as the sound driver was flagged as sick.
After trying various guidance I gave up.
Then I dug out my old (6 months plus) HDD which had been my clone source quite a while ago.
Ran this up and found that the driver error was not there any more & the sound was working fine!
Ran full updates to bring this older drive up to date & it is still fine. No problems.
It looks like a corrupted sound driver was the cause & it might have been corrupted by a rogue update automatically installed.

The cloned SSD still has the faults but a new clone will put that right.

All is now well.

Reaction score
Glad to hear it, don't use any driver update tools as they often cause more problems than they solve!. :)

Reaction score
Not a driver update tool, Wolfie, I am sure it was a W10 update failure.

Corrupted download, whatever.
Thanks for you comments.

Ask a Question