SOLVED MediaCreationTool.exe error

Reaction score
I have downloaded the mediacreationtool.exe file. When I try to run it I get an empty box showing up with an OK button in it. When I click on that button nothing happens. Then if I try again to run the mediacreationtool.exe file I get a message that "Setup couldn't start properly. Please reboot your PC and try running Windows 10 Setup again." If I reboot I have the same problems again. Does anyone else have this problem or can anyone suggest what I do. I want to set up a 4 GB USB thumbdrive to install the 32 bit version of Windows 10 on another pc.

Reaction score
Why don't you just go to the other pc, download the Media Creation Tool in the pc you want to install Windows 10 ? You can then run the Tool in that computer.
http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

*** when you run the Tool, do NOT select "Upgrade this pc now ". Instead, select Create installation media for another PC" That will lead to creating Windows 10 ISO file. ***

Caution : If you do a clean install, you will be asked for the Windows 10 product key which has not been released and nobody has it. And, the install will not be activated.

Instead, after you have created the ISO > right click at it > click Mount > click Setup.exe.
Installation will begin.
You will be able to choose either keeping your files, settings and apps, or you can choose to keep nothing.
This method does not require Windows 10 product key, and activation is automatic.

I used the same method to install Windows 10 Pro.

Ask a Question