Menu Bar in Windows 10

Reaction score
Just got a new laptop with Windows 10. Discovered Edge doesn't have the tool bars I'm used to, so changed default to IE11. All of the posts I've read said to right click in the address bar area and select Menu Bar from the dropdown menu, but all that shows up is Cut Copy Undo Select All, nothing else. I also tried the suggestion to press Alt, but nothing at all comes up. :(

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Try right clicking a little higher up near the Tab Bar / Title Bar area

menubar.png

Reaction score
Tried it, but got a different menu: Restore Move Size, etc...
Tried right clicking on the taskbar at the bottom of the screen and a menu came up that has a toolbars menu, but no Menu Bar.

Regedit32

Reaction score
Hi favoriteblue,

Welcome to the Forum.

When you open Internet Explorer, press your Alt key + Space bar together. You ought to then see a context menu appear like so:

ie.png

You'll see at top of the Context Menu the Menu bar. Click it!

A little farther down the same Context menu click on Lock the toolbars.

Done!

Alternatively, if that still does not work for you then:
  • Close Internet Explorer 11, if open.
  • Press your Windows key + S key together to give focus to your Search/Cortana field
  • In the Search/Cortana field type comm
  • In the search results right-click on Command Prompt and select Run as administrator
  • When the User Account Control prompts you, click Yes
  • In the Administrator: Command Prompt console type or copy & paste the following:
Code:
REG ADD "HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\MINIE" /v AlwaysShowMenus /t REG_DWORD /d 1 /f

Press Enter key

Type or copy & paste the following:

Code:
REG ADD "HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Toolbar" /v Locked /t REG_DWORD /d 1 /f

Press Enter key

Type exit then press Enter key

Done! Your Internet Explorer will not display the Toolbar, and this will be locked.

Sample image

iereg.png

Regards,

Regedit32

Last edited:
Reaction score
Thank you all for your help! I've tried everything suggested, but still not getting the menu. I'm starting to wonder if even though it shows Internet Explorer as my default browser under Settings, System, Default Apps, maybe it is still Edge.

Regedit32

Reaction score
I'm starting to wonder if even though it shows Internet Explorer as my default browser under Settings, System, Default Apps, maybe it is still Edge.

browsers.png

If you are not seeing the Microsoft Internet Explorer 11 icon on your taskbar as in above image, then in your Search/Cortana field, type Internet Explorer, then in search results right-click on Internet Explorer and select Pin to taskbar

Reaction score
Edge's settings are like Chrome....click the 3 dots top right, then Settings......also click the 3 dashes just left of the 3 dots and there are more Settings there.....you may find what you are looking for.

Ask a Question