Merging local account with child microsoft account

Reaction score
Now that there are no parental controls on local user accounts, I set up a Microsoft account for each of my children so that I can limit screen time and accessibility to websites. I am now trying to merge their old local accounts to the new Microsoft accounts. I can log in to their local accounts and I can log in to their new Microsoft accounts, however, I cannot sign in to the Microsoft account from their local account (I'm only assuming this is how to do it). I go to settings, accounts, Sign in with Microsoft Account instead, enter email and password, enter old password, click Next and get the message "Oops, something went wrong Whatever happened, it was probably our fault. Please try again."

My goal is to save everything they have on their local accounts (Minecraft files especially) and get it over to the Microsoft account so that I take advantage of the parental controls. So, deleting profiles is not an option, but if there is a way to get everything moved over, then I can delete the local account, but I have no idea how to move everything over.

It seems many people are having this problem, but no one has found a solution that works. I only have the home version of Windows 10.

Thanks!

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
I believe that the best way forward would be to investigate copying (not moving) the contents of one user profile into the other perhaps only specific components of the profile that concerns you, much the same way as you would recover from a corrupt user profile as outline here......
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/fix-corrupted-user-profile#1TC=windows-7

You need to do this using a third users (a member of the local administrator's group) and neither or the accounts can be active (logged in) while you are doing this.
I have zero experience with those "child" / "family" accounts but would presume that there is a local profile folder for them hopefully.
Hope this helps.

Ask a Question