Access Denied To A Local Printer On Network After Update

Reaction score
Hi there, I'm hoping there is someone here that could help me.

We run five Windows 10 computers on our network, a few recent updates to windows has one by one knocked off the computers from showing in the Network view, and now only the "Server" (as we use this to host our accounting software's data, and the others read from it) is visible. This is with network settings set to visible and shared folders enabled on all computers. We are still able to gather data from the server as long as we key in the network address of the host to our software, and we can still find printers by inputting their network address.

However the last update has now denied 3 of our computers from using a dot-matrix printer on one of the "client" computers. When we try to print it simply comes up with "Access Denied", and the same error appears when we try to access the printers properties from those 3 computers.

So i have 2 questions:

1) How do i go about making the "client" machines reappear in the Network tab?

2) How do i rectify the "Access Denied" error and enable the 3 computers to be able to print from the dot-matrix printer again?

Thank you to anyone who attempts to help.

Reaction score
Press the Windows and "R" keys on the problem computers, type "services.msc" into the "Run" box, and click "OK". When the Services applet starts, scroll down to "Function Discovery Provider Host" and "Function Discovery Resource Publication" and make sure they are running. If not, double-click them, change their startup type to "Automatic(Delayed Start)" and click "OK". Then restart the computer.

Ben

Reaction score
I am having a very similar problem with my print server. I have tried the fix above and I still get error 0x80070035.
I have searched the net and followed a couple of reset type options but am getting no where with this. It happened after it asked me to set a pin. I have done so and this works to get into the print server . I can see the print server in network under file tab but it will not let me access any part of the print server. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers

Reaction score
I am having a very similar problem with my print server. I have tried the fix above and I still get error 0x80070035.
I have searched the net and followed a couple of reset type options but am getting no where with this. It happened after it asked me to set a pin. I have done so and this works to get into the print server . I can see the print server in network under file tab but it will not let me access any part of the print server. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers
Which port is your printer using (WSD or TCP/IP or something else)?

Control Panel>Devices and Printers>R-Click on your printer and choose "Printer Properties">Port tab​

Also, have you tried completely uninstalling your printer's software/drivers, rebooting your computer, and then reinstalling it? Sometimes that can be the quickest way to remedy the problem :) (and sometimes it isn't :().

--David

Reaction score
Which port is your printer using (WSD or TCP/IP or something else)?

Control Panel>Devices and Printers>R-Click on your printer and choose "Printer Properties">Port tab​

Also, have you tried completely uninstalling your printer's software/drivers, rebooting your computer, and then reinstalling it? Sometimes that can be the quickest way to remedy the problem :) (and sometimes it isn't :().

--David
Thanks for the reply. It is not one printer but 4. I use a print server to access these four printers.I cannot get access to the printers from other computers in the network. Today I placed documents on a thumb drive and then inserted the thumb drive into the print server and they printed fine. This indicates that the printers are installed fine. My issue is getting access to the server. Just for info they are connected via a USB hub external to the server.

Thanks

Rubbers50

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply. It is not one printer but 4. I use a print server to access these four printers.I cannot get access to the printers from other computers in the network. Today I placed documents on a thumb drive and then inserted the thumb drive into the print server and they printed fine. This indicates that the printers are installed fine. My issue is getting access to the server. Just for info they are connected via a USB hub external to the server.

Thanks

Rubbers50
Ahh, I see. That is a very different setup than I was imagining or have ever setup or used personally. For instance, each of the printers in my office has either 1) it's own internal print server or 2) an external jet direct or 3) is attached directly to one of our workstations via USB (and in this latter case, the workstation itself becomes a network print server for the printer that is attached directly to it via USB).

I'll ask around a bit tomorrow, but sadly, it sounds like your situation is different enough that I will probably be of very little help to you in getting this figured out (but I'll get back to you here if that changes :)).

--David

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
@rubbers50
You are using the term(s) server and print server....
Can you advise as to what Operating System your "server / print server" is using (Linux, Windows Server, other)??
IS it a typical computer or a network appliance of some type?? Manufacturer, Model Name, Model Number??
It would be helpful to know if you are running a true Client - Server environment or a much more typical Peer to Peer common network sharing files, folders and printers attached to or hosted on a client OS system.

Are all network nodes running Windows 10? Including the "Server / Print Server"??
Same version and build number?

Hopefully, someday..... Microsoft will stop fiddling with the network stack and all the associated NetBIOS stuff will function again.

Often when you get these types of errors relating to "access denied" especially just after an update, it is the result of some third party security suite present on the host computer or elsewhere on the overarching network like a firewall software.
It happened after it asked me to set a pin
What is "it" that you reference in this sentence?

Reaction score
@rubbers50
You are using the term(s) server and print server....
Can you advise as to what Operating System your "server / print server" is using (Linux, Windows Server, other)??
IS it a typical computer or a network appliance of some type?? Manufacturer, Model Name, Model Number??
It would be helpful to know if you are running a true Client - Server environment or a much more typical Peer to Peer common network sharing files, folders and printers attached to or hosted on a client OS system.

Are all network nodes running Windows 10? Including the "Server / Print Server"??
Same version and build number?

Hopefully, someday..... Microsoft will stop fiddling with the network stack and all the associated NetBIOS stuff will function again.

Often when you get these types of errors relating to "access denied" especially just after an update, it is the result of some third party security suite present on the host computer or elsewhere on the overarching network like a firewall software.

What is "it" that you reference in this sentence?

The it is Windows 10. I am using Windows 10 for all computers connected to the small network. I am using an old desktop for my server. It is not the best way to go but makes it easy for me to over see. It is as you put it a Peer to Peer network. Thanks for all help. Cheers

Rubbers50

Ask a Question