SOLVED Access denied when updating driver

Reaction score
My laptop integrated web cam has suddenly stoped working and displays a yellow exclamation mark in Device Manager. When I try and update the driver I get a "Windows found drivers for your device but encountered a problem attempting to install them " also displays "USB video device" and "Access is denied". The device does not have a unique manufactuirer identity and according to the manufacturer of the laptop driver is a microsoft driver. How do I resolve this issue please?

Reaction score
What kind of laptop?? brand/ model?

try uninstalling the device (including deleting the drivers) then restart the laptop. Windows should be able to find a new device (your camera) and install the appropriate driver for it through Windows Update.

Reaction score
It's a MSI CX61. I've tried uninstalling, that didn't work. I've tried disabling the device, shutting down and and restarting the laptop. How can i tell which driver it is using and how can i unistall the driver (in case it's corrupted)?

Reaction score
It's a MSI CX61. How can i tell which driver it is using and how can i unistall the driver (in case it's corrupted)?

That is a good question I do not have an answer to. I looked up both models on the MSI website for camera driver but could not find any.
What I found is this: https://www.msi.com/Laptop/support/CX61#down-driver
2017-09-09_153601.jpg

However I have found a tip that may work:

http://smallbusiness.chron.com/msi-laptops-installed-webcam-work-52015.html

Reaction score
I have tried all of the options, even plugged in a seperate USB Web Cam (from my desktop). Same thing happens with them both, the driver won't install! I tried a Windows repair, created a DVD with the Media on it - setup refuses to run. I conttacted Microsoft and had a service engineer take remote control of the laptop. After over one hour they couldn't resolve the issue, so started a windows repair and update. the update ran - then failed! seems to be some sort of corruption in Windows.

Reaction score
In that case I suggest to backup everything you want to keep and start over fresh. I would not use the installation media that came with your laptop as they will install all that "sponsored crap" again but with a self made installation media via the Media creation tool from MS which you can download here:
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10
that way you won't install the "crap" but you have to look for your drivers yourself creating a very clean install.

Just an idea: have you tried to run a hard drive test yet??

Reaction score
In that case I suggest to backup everything you want to keep and start over fresh. I would not use the installation media that came with your laptop as they will install all that "sponsored crap" again but with a self made installation media via the Media creation tool from MS which you can download here:
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10
that way you won't install the "crap" but you have to look for your drivers yourself creating a very clean install.

Just an idea: have you tried to run a hard drive test yet??

Reaction score
I tried all of the suggestions - with no success. Finally managed to solve the issue with the last suggestion, a clean install of Windows. A bit drastic, but it worked. Thanks for all your help anyway, it was appreciated.

Reaction score
Sometimes one has to take drastic measures if everything else fails. You will be much happier that you do not have to waste more time saving a system that "does not want" to be saved anymore.
I am glad it worked out ok for you and my attempts to help did not go to waste.....;) ;) :) :) :D

Ask a Question