I cannot create a restore point, access denied.

Reaction score
I have searched for hours and kind of get I have to change permissions. I've mucked around with permissions, but have had no luck. I've tried to follow what has helped a few others, with no results. I even created a shortcut to make a restore point, but that also comes back denied. I would be much appreciative if someone could explain to me how to fix this in layman's terms with each step laid out. THANKS!

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Hello and welcome to the forum.
kind of get I have to change permissions
Can you open a command prompt window and in that type
whoami
hit enter
Then in that same command prompt window type
net localgroup administrators
hit enter

IS the name identified in the first command contained in the list of users identified in the second command?

Capture.PNG

Reaction score
Hello,Thank you very much for trying to help me. I did as you said and YES whoami=newlaptop/larry and administrator=larry

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
IF you open File Explorer, Right click on "This PC" and choose properties....
Select the "System Protection" tab
IS System Restore turned "ON" for all your drives?
Can you use the "Configure" button to determine how much space is being allocated?
Can you use the "Create" button to make a new restore point?

Capture.PNG

Reaction score
It all works on mine including 2 of the 3 USB drives attached. The 3rd USB drive is different, not shown in the list, and I attribute it to all drives being formatted NTFS except that 3rd USB drive is 4TB and formatted as exFAT, came from the WDC factory that way.

Reaction score
Could you tell us exactly what you are trying to do which makes you want to change permissions? There are some areas which cannot be accessed by an Admin user.

Reaction score
Thank You Trouble,
When I right click this pc and properties it says properties for this item not available. But i was able to muck around and get to system protection. It shows: windows (C:) (system) ON, recovery (D:) OFF Under Configure it says current usage is 6.33GB, Max use 2% (10GB) As for Create I get the same as always ACCESS DENIED (0x80070005)

Reaction score
I turned on system protection for (D:) and put max useage at 10gb , and tried to create a restore point but same results

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Hi Trouble,

maybe @Ian could do it as I think he is the OP?. :)
I'm going to go through all the articles once the fall update is out and update them, as there are likely going to be a few new changes and quite a few articles that need tweaking. It looks like the fast ring preview may be RTM in all but name, so they may be corrected a bit sooner with new screenshots :).

Reaction score
That article needs editing. IF you attempt to follow it, you'll see why.
Ok, well I mucked around trying to follow this article and somehow got to system protection and instead of (D) drive it says PBR image, I turned on protection for that, and configured it to 20% 2.11GB (currently using 528kb) and I was able to create a restore point! Hmmmm, Any thoughts on this? I really have no idea except it seems like a good thing?

Reaction score
O crap! Forget that last reply! I am on my PC, not my laptop! Yeah........... feel free to call me names.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Any thoughts on this?
As "System Protection" / "System Restore" is intended as a tool to allow you to recover your "System" to a point in time, it should generally be employed for its' intended purpose and directed at your "system" drive / partition, containing your Operating System.
It's purpose is to allow you to recover from system file corruption like a bad or corrupt registry entry or an instance of a bad or corrupt driver and is not generally considered a viable backup solution.

IF it is your intent to protect all your drives and partitions against physical failure, corruption, accidental deletion or other catastrophic problems, then....
You might be better served by employing a robust backup / disk imaging solution instead.
Personally, I use Acronis True Image for this, but there are other solutions available ranging from "free" for personal use, to various pricing for local solutions or monthly / annual subscription cloud based services.

I'm not down-playing the benefit of System Restore, it can be a true life saver in some cases but I would never consider it as reliable overall protection.
It can fail and sometimes does. Nothing more depressing than seeing the message that System Restore was unsuccessful

Reaction score
As "System Protection" / "System Restore" is intended as a tool to allow you to recover your "System" to a point in time, it should generally be employed for its' intended purpose and directed at your "system" drive / partition, containing your Operating System.
It's purpose is to allow you to recover from system file corruption like a bad or corrupt registry entry or an instance of a bad or corrupt driver and is not generally considered a viable backup solution.

IF it is your intent to protect all your drives and partitions against physical failure, corruption, accidental deletion or other catastrophic problems, then....
You might be better served by employing a robust backup / disk imaging solution instead.
Personally, I use Acronis True Image for this, but there are other solutions available ranging from "free" for personal use, to various pricing for local solutions or monthly / annual subscription cloud based services.

I'm not down-playing the benefit of System Restore, it can be a true life saver in some cases but I would never consider it as reliable overall protection.
It can fail and sometimes does. Nothing more depressing than seeing the message that System Restore was unsuccessful
Thanks Trouble, that makes sense. I generally make a full backup not long after I get a new computer. I do like to make restore points when I mess with stuff (cleaning, following online tutorials on how to fix things), its quicker and easier than doing a complete backup. I'd really like to fix the problem and now I'm worried about WHY I am being denied access? Could my laptop be corrupted? Should I start a new topic? Are there any other resources to find a fix for this I could access? I really do appreciate your patient assistance!

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
I must admit.... I'm at a loss as to why you would be getting the "denied access" message.
I think, if it were my machine, I would probably attempt and in-place upgrade repair install. That is to say...... upgrade it again, overtop of itself from within your current install, just double click setup.exe in the installation media. Just be sure to check the little box to get updates as part of the upgrade process.
That will generally keep all your programs, data, drivers and such safe, but.....
I would still create a disk image before going forward.

Installation media can be obtained here https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

If you already have the ISO you can simply mount it from within Windows 10 and run setup.exe from there.

Neosmart has a pretty good article on it here https://neosmart.net/wiki/windows-10-repair-installation/
You can skip the first couple paragraphs where they are promoting their recovery CDs and drill down to the meat of the article below.

Ask a Question