Cannot create recovery drive

MDS

Reaction score
When I attempt to create a recovery drive, I get this message.
upload_2015-10-30_9-59-21.png

What is the answer, as I have tried this several times.

Reaction score
I just tried doing the same and got the same message.
So there seems to be another problem MS needs to fix.;)

Reaction score
I have a new Dell with Windows 10 and am having the same error message : We cannot create the recovery drive. "A problem occured ... but no clue given as to what the "problem" is. What do I do?

Reaction score
I don't have a solution to the problem in question.
I am suggesting an alternative which is, in my opinion, a better one than Recovery Drive..............

Create System Image Backup and store it to an external hard drive.
I do that regularly, about every 10 days or after a heavy Windows updates install.
It save my computer many times when I had issues I could not resolve.

Plug in your external hard drive > go to Control Panel > top right, at View by, click the pointer and select small icons > select File History > bottom left, click System Image Backup > right side, click Create a system image > wait for it to locate your ext. hdd > just follow the prompts from then on.

It will take some time.
The system image file will be stored in the ext. hdd under WindowsImageBackup folder.

Reaction score
I sometimes have this problem. When I reinstalled the same version again it was gone. It may be to do with cleaning system files, when you right click on C: -> properties -> disk cleanup.
Or it may be that same problem that breaks sfc and dism a few days after an install.

That said I use AOEMI to back up, you can use it to make a usb recovery installer too.. it saved my ass last week after I screwed up the mbr trying to convert from mbr to gpt

Reaction score
This seems to be a problem of incompatibility between Dell and Windows 10. I spoke to Dell and they sent me a "Windows 10 Recovery Media" on an 8GB stick, but otherwise had nothing to offer.

Reaction score
I have the same problem after upgrading to Windows 10 ---- it is surely a Windows 10 issue in general rather than specific to a particular make of PC. I have not yet found a solution but using Aomei Backupper is an idea I will try.

Reaction score
When I attempt to create a recovery drive, I get this message.
View attachment 1475
What is the answer, as I have tried this several times.
See the latest release that MS is putting out for Win 10. Windows 10's new build 10565 was being tested by insiders about 3 weeks ago and has since sent an update for testing by insiders. Should be released to the rest of us soon.

Reaction score
I just went to control panel/recovery and clicked create recovery drive thinking create a disk in D drive. Turned out I created a USB drive which took about an hour. But it did work so then I changed the BIOS order to test it. That worked too.

Now I have to find out how to make it boot in a UEFI laptop.

Reaction score
I am not tech person. I don't want to download a "solution" from some ad. I have no idea what the 'moderator' is talking about. I just want the option to create a recovery drive from the instructions as MS said I should do. Is that too much to ask? Originally the message came up that It needed at least 16 GB of space on a usb, so I went and bought a 32 GB usb. Now all I get is a message that a recovery drive cannot be created. No explanation--nothing.

Reaction score
I found those instructions difficult too and the Windows solution was difficult as well .I am not sure if you want to try a solution which costs money but I just found one which worked easily for me. I purchased a USB external drive and it came with software that simplified the creation of a PC back up drive as well as the creation of A bootable USB Flash drive. It was $50 but is a 1 TB drive. Here is a link in case you want to look at it;

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00R4O9LXM?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00

Reaction score
I haven't tried making a recovery drive for a while, but basically it is a repair drive with the OEM factory image transferred to the drive, thus the need for a large USB drive.

There are such options on OEM systems which only allow one try, or so I have heard. The Windows version should allow you to complete the process.

Make note, whatever drive is used, the entire drive will be unusable for other things. Maybe the USB drive you purchased has something which makes it unacceptable. If an update was done on the system, it may have effected the situation.

Ask a Question