SOLVED Cannot create user accounts in Administrator

Reaction score
Upgraded my laptop W7 Home Premium (64-bit) to W10 Build 10586. Created a Microsoft account based on e-mail ID. Change my mind and removed MS account in favour of the Administrator account (with password). All attempts to use standard apps (Mail. Edge etc.) give message "xxxx can't be opened using Built-in Administrator. Sign in with a different user account." When I try to create a new MS account using Settings >Accounts >Your emails and accounts >Add email, calendar, contacts account or >> Add workplace or school account, or >> Other users (Family and other users isn't shown) >Add someone else to this PC, the system just hangs with the infuriating revolving circle. Some suggestions here and elsewhere suggest complex solutions with recovery images and registry editing. There must be an easier way ????

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
If you are saying that you are currently using the (hidden by default) Administrator's account, then you might want to create another local account as a member of the local administrators group (not a standard user) and log off from the hidden administrators account and log on as the new user you just created and see if you can then go into accounts and change that to log on with MS account instead or whatever the wording is.

Reaction score
Thanks for your reply, although I don't fully understand it. However, I poked around in user accounts and found the create new account option, so I'm all set. I still maintain the scenario I described is unacceptable.

Ask a Question