Network locations denied access after Win 10 update

Reaction score
I finally got my laptop up & running after almost 3 weeks of not being able to start, no thanks Microsoft tech support who took 2 weeks to respond and then told me to make USB disk, which I did, and told me they would call me back, which they never did!! Got tired of waiting and finally solved the problem on my own. Now that my laptop is running smoothly again, I was prompted to update my desktop, so fool that I am I said OK (not that Microsoft in their infinite wisdom gives me a choice!). Now I can't access my desktop files from my laptop AGAIN (I had this problem last year and posted here, got a couple of responses, but no solutions. Eventually figured out one myself, so there WAS an answer). When I click on my network links I am told I don't have permission TO ACCESS MY OWN FILES!! Microsoft is so brilliant! They make it easy for any hacker, but impossible for me to access my own files! I checked all the permissions on my desktop - they are all the same!! They say shared & permissions are correct and as they had been before the so called upgrade! Network discovery is turned on for both machines, so what is the flippin' problem??!! And why does Microsoft insist on continually changing my setup without my permission??!!? I even tried to add a new network location (not that I should need one) > choose a custom network location, type in the address of one of my shared folders, and I am told "the folder you have entered does not appear to be valid!" WHAT??!!??

Reaction score
Found the problem! Microsoft in their infinite wisdom decided to uncheck "turn off password protected sharing" in (Control Panel\Network and Internet\Network and Sharing Center\Advanced sharing settings) even though I had it selected before the update. See that's what I'm talking about! What gives them the right to mess with my settings?? Who bought this computer me or Microsoft? Leave damn computer alone Microsoft MORONS! Screw you!! Mandatory updates should be illegal. Especially when they foist them on us before they've even got the bugs worked out! I spent countless hours searching for a solution when the Spring Update (which took half a day in the first place) trashed my laptop and I wasn't able to start it for 3 weeks. Bad enough I can't use my computer, why should I have to waste so much of my time searching for solutions because of their IDIOTIC INCOMPETENCE??!!? Now I find myself having to waste more of my time because of this! Changing my settings without even the courtesy of telling me!!!! A55HOLES!!

Ask a Question