Main hard drive "local disk c" is in usb eject icon

Reaction score
HELLO, I RECENTLY DID A FRESH INSTALL OF WIN 10 AND NOW BOTH MY LOCAL C DRIVE AND MY SEPARATE STORAGE HARD DRIVE APPEAR IN USB EJECT ICON.

SO NOW WHEN MY PARTNER EJECT'S THEIR CAMERA ( AS I TOLD THEM TO DO ) THEY SOMETIMES ACCIDENTIALLY EJECT A 'MAIN HARD DRIVE' AND I HAVE TO OPEN THE CASE AND UNPLUG & RE-PLUG IT ETC , TO BE RECOGNIZED AGAIN.

HOW CAN I STOP THEM APPEARING IN THE USB EJECT ICON.

CHEERS & THANKYOU

JAY

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum, Jay.

Do you know how is the main hard drive connected to your system? For example, is it an SATA drive connected internally? Do you also know the motherboard model or machine model, as that may help us.

The first thing I'd check is to see if the drive is set up as "hot plug" or "hot swappable" in the BIOS. If you're not sure how to check, let me know the model numbers mentioned above and I'll see if I can find some instructions on where to check.

Reaction score
Go to device manager, then to your drives, on the new SSD right click to bring up properties on the policy tab ensure that enable write caching on the device is check

Reaction score
HELLO, I RECENTLY DID A FRESH INSTALL OF WIN 10 AND NOW BOTH MY LOCAL C DRIVE AND MY SEPARATE STORAGE HARD DRIVE APPEAR IN USB EJECT ICON.

SO NOW WHEN MY PARTNER EJECT'S THEIR CAMERA ( AS I TOLD THEM TO DO ) THEY SOMETIMES ACCIDENTIALLY EJECT A 'MAIN HARD DRIVE' AND I HAVE TO OPEN THE CASE AND UNPLUG & RE-PLUG IT ETC , TO BE RECOGNIZED AGAIN.

HOW CAN I STOP THEM APPEARING IN THE USB EJECT ICON.

CHEERS & THANKYOU

JAY
Welcome to the forum, Jay.

Do you know how is the main hard drive connected to your system? For example, is it an SATA drive connected internally? Do you also know the motherboard model or machine model, as that may help us.

The first thing I'd check is to see if the drive is set up as "hot plug" or "hot swappable" in the BIOS. If you're not sure how to check, let me know the model numbers mentioned above and I'll see if I can find some instructions on where to check.

Thanks Ian,

Both of my Drives are SATA connected internally.

The machine is an ACER Veriton S680G i5 3.2Ghz and was originally Win 7 Pro OS.

I don't know where to find the Mother Board model unfortunately.

Thanks again.

Reaction score
Go to device manager, then to your drives, on the new SSD right click to bring up properties on the policy tab ensure that enable write caching on the device is check

Thanks, I did check it out and the enable write caching on the device is checked.

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
It may also be worth running the driver scan on the Intel site, to see if it's possible to install the latest version of Intel RST (used for your AHCI SATA drivers - which may better control the hot plug function):

https://downloadcenter.intel.com

Ask a Question