Maintenance time set for 3am. Windows turns off computer even if I'm downloading a file

Reaction score
I have a Toshiba Satellite 64-bit, 8gb memory, 2T hard drive, running Windows 10 latest update.

How do I keep Windows from updating and turning off my computer when I'm in the middle of downloading a file from the internet?

I have the maintenance time set for 3am but according to the message it will only update if I'm NOT using my computer. I've lost two large downloads because of updates, the most recent last night. I'm on a metered connection so this is costing me money every time I have to re-run a download.

Is there a way for me to turn off the maintenance until I'm actually not using the computer so I don't lose any more downloads and have to spend money unnecessarily?
Thanks for your help.

Reaction score
Unfortunately there are such issues with Metered Connections. A nice thing with Notebooks is they can be taken to other locations that have free access but also not metered. I'm not metered but try to do large downloads during the day but some can only be done in off-hours due to the traffic they generate, all about bandwidth. When I was on a 1Mbps connection I'd take may Notebook to our church which was on Cable/Broadband, problem got some relief at 5Mbps really good now at 12Mbps. The forerunner of the Internet was Bulletin Boards, had the same issue when I wanted to get Shareware instead of waiting for snailmail shipments. I do still get failed downloads on some not-so-big downloads during the day but it has to be the network traffic of the Internet.

Reaction score
My download speed averages about 25Kbps, yes, K. And that's paying for a higher speed on my metered connection. But that is not my problem in this case. The last two large downloads failed (at night), because Windows did an update and turned off my computer.

Do they not count downloading as me working on the computer? Because they say they won't update if I'm working on the computer. I don't find that to be true.

I need to find a way to turn off automatic updating until my computer is not doing something I need done.

As far as going to an internet cafe or some place like that. The nearest one that I know of is not an easy option because it is four hours away. There was one about 30 minutes away but they recently closed because so many people were getting computers and they weren't making any money.

Reaction score
Go into "Settings", "Update & Security", click "Change Active Hours", and set it appropriately. Note that when you set the times, you must click the check mark at the bottom of the popup. Be sure to save new times. Keep in mind that you are telling Windows when you are using the computer, not when you want it to update.

Ben

Reaction score
I usually have something running on my computer about 22 hours her day. The setting you suggested will only let me say I'm working 18 hours per day. With running things and doing downloads, sometimes it runs 24 hours per day. 18 hours is not really realistic. Is there no other place to actually turn off the updates until I have free time on the computer. I have that kind of free time about twice a month and Windows could update then.

Reaction score
Thanks for the suggestion. I read the article. Unfortunately, I am using Windows Home so this won't work for me. And I have enough misery with using this version of Windows. I certainly don't want to pay money for more and probably different miseries.

If it wasn't for some applications I have on my computer that I use frequently and will only run on Windows, I would already be using some other operating system.

I guess I'll surrender and mark this as Solved? I wish they had a button for Unsolvable.

Ask a Question