My motherboard has just died can I use the Windows 10 iso to install OS on new system?

Reaction score
Hi

I have been experiencing problem with booting my Win 10 PC for a while now but today it has died on me. In anticipation of this I bought myself a new Asus Z97 MB so now I am wondering whether I can use the Win10 iso downloaded to a USB stick to install a clean copy of Win 10 Pro on my new setup. I have the product key which came with the downloaded iso although I have read reports that the activation process does not always(never) recognises the code. In that event I suppose I could install Win 8 from the retail disk and upgrade to Win 8.1 and then try to install Win 10 again.

As it is some time now since the release of Win 10 I am hoping that a clean install onto the new MB will be OK does anyone have any experience of doing this?

Thanks
David

Ad

Advertisements

Reaction score
Hi

I have been experiencing problem with booting my Win 10 PC for a while now but today it has died on me. In anticipation of this I bought myself a new Asus Z97 MB so now I am wondering whether I can use the Win10 iso downloaded to a USB stick to install a clean copy of Win 10 Pro on my new setup. I have the product key which came with the downloaded iso although I have read reports that the activation process does not always(never) recognises the code. In that event I suppose I could install Win 8 from the retail disk and upgrade to Win 8.1 and then try to install Win 10 again.

As it is some time now since the release of Win 10 I am hoping that a clean install onto the new MB will be OK does anyone have any experience of doing this?

Thanks
David
From everything I have read if your Motherboard dies and this PC is the only one you have, I believe you can re install Windows 10. If it asks you for a key, use the one you have. If it does not activate you may have to call MS. It is an easy thing to do, you talk to a machine.

Ad

Advertisements

Reaction score
From everything I have read if your Motherboard dies and this PC is the only one you have, I believe you can re install Windows 10. If it asks you for a key, use the one you have. If it does not activate you may have to call MS. It is an easy thing to do, you talk to a machine.

Thanks Gideon, I was rather hoping that that would be the case. any way I will find out tomorrow when I rebuild my PC.
Regards
David

Ask a Question