My screen's laptop driver is broken

Reaction score
A couple days ago I noticed that my laptop screen was doing some really weird things. As an an example when entering in the HDR setting section the preview video appears completely green and the screen turns off for a second. Another thing that happens is that when taking a screenshot with "windows2 + shift + s" the screen turns off the same way. The last thing that happens is that when entering some games and pressing the windows key the start menu and the game screen becomes transparent and I can see both things. This only happens on my laptop because I have an external monitor which works perfectly fine. Does anyone have any suggestion? I can't post any photo cause its a screen problem and not something that can be seen on a screenshot

Attachments

• 1645532999865.png
    1645532999865.png
    215.5 KB · Views: 26
Reaction score
Since there's no information about the Notebook/Laptop given can only speculate that the device on the motherboard or in the case part holding the display panel has an issue. Older devices could have a small printed circuit part as the interface but newer ones have it as part of the motherboard, whichever your unmentioned model has will determine how to fix. Could even be simply a loose connection at either the motherboard or the panel. The External monitor is routed to the socket differently and controlled by an Fx key or Fn + Fx.

As for the "windows2 + shift + s", it's WIndows Key + Shift + S, don't know where the 2 fits in.

Reaction score
Since there's no information about the Notebook/Laptop given can only speculate that the device on the motherboard or in the case part holding the display panel has an issue. Older devices could have a small printed circuit part as the interface but newer ones have it as part of the motherboard, whichever your unmentioned model has will determine how to fix. Could even be simply a loose connection at either the motherboard or the panel. The External monitor is routed to the socket differently and controlled by an Fx key or Fn + Fx.

As for the "windows2 + shift + s", it's WIndows Key + Shift + S, don't know where the 2 fits in.
the 2 was an error while typing sorry. It is an MSI GP 66 leopard with an i7-10750H

Reaction score
Looking up that model shows it's a 15.6" well equipped, is it still under warranty? If so take advantage of that. If not in warranty it still appears worth getting it fixed at a shop as some disassembly is required, actually quite involved.

Reaction score
Looking up that model shows it's a 15.6" well equipped, is it still under warranty? If so take advantage of that. If not in warranty it still appears worth getting it fixed at a shop as some disassembly is required, actually quite involved.
but why would i get get it fixed if i know it is a software problem. I even managed to fixed the screenshot problem by downgrading the intel UHD driver

Reaction score
but why would i get get it fixed if i know it is a software problem. I even managed to fixed the screenshot problem by downgrading the intel UHD driver
I don't think you can be sure that it's a software problem. One very common problem with laptops is damage to the ribbon cable that feeds the screen (from opening and closing the laptop). Another is screen damage cause by the screen twisting when a laptop is opened from one corner rather than from the centre.

One way to check would be to boot the Windows installation media (DVD or USB stick) and see whether you can make the laptop display misbehave with that (try moving the laptop screen back and forth and twisting it gently). If it misbehaves in any way running the installation system (a version of WinPE) then it's the screen.

Reaction score
I don't think you can be sure that it's a software problem. One very common problem with laptops is damage to the ribbon cable that feeds the screen (from opening and closing the laptop). Another is screen damage cause by the screen twisting when a laptop is opened from one corner rather than from the centre.

One way to check would be to boot the Windows installation media (DVD or USB stick) and see whether you can make the laptop display misbehave with that (try moving the laptop screen back and forth and twisting it gently). If it misbehaves in any way running the installation system (a version of WinPE) then it's the screen.
I did this and anything bad happened

Reaction score
yes it does
That's good. It's not hardware then.

Since it's a laptop it may have two graphics cards; an iGPU integrated into the CPU and a dGPU as a dedicated graphics card. If you do have two GPUs does the problem exist when using only one of the GPUs or does it exist when using either one?

Reaction score
That's good. It's not hardware then.

Since it's a laptop it may have two graphics cards; an iGPU integrated into the CPU and a dGPU as a dedicated graphics card. If you do have two GPUs does the problem exist when using only one of the GPUs or does it exist when using either one?
It only happens when using the intel one

Reaction score
It only happens when using the intel one
Then it would be wise to ensure you have the best Intel GPU driver installed. I would uninstall the Intel iGPU via Device Manager and uninstall the driver with it. Then install the driver that was supplied with the laptop and see how that is.

With laptops OEM drivers are often modified from the generic drivers. If the supplied driver doesn't help I would suggest you do a factory reset using the hidden partition supplied with the laptop - so that you get all the OEM drivers back - and see how it behaves then.

Ask a Question