Mysterious desktop problems

Reaction score
Today the icons for the things on my desktops had been changed overnight and in several cases were the wrong ones. Guessing that a reboot might help, I rebooted and found that there was a Win 10 update waiting to be installed. I installed it and the icons became normal again. But now on the desktop there is a folder with my name. It's a very large folder. Why is it there and how can I get rid of it if it's not necessary? By the way, I tried to move it or copy it to various locations such as C:/ but it couldn't be done. Thanks in advance for help.

Ad

Advertisements

Reaction score
You do want to be careful with that Folder, normally a Folder with the User/Owner name is located in C:\Users. Also note that the computer file management uses the backslash \ while addresses on the Internet use the forward slash /.

Look in that Folder to check the contents, could be other Folders such as Pictures, Documents, Music, etc. Also look in C:\Users to check if the same contents also exists in both the version on the Desktop [it is also a Folder]. In File Explorer left panel you should also see listed Desktop under Quick Access and This PC.

Ad

Advertisements

Reaction score
Thanks for the comments Bighorn. I've looked in C:\Users and it isn't there. I'm pretty sure it used to be. I don't seem to be able to move it there or copy it there. I don't think it belongs on the desktop but have no idea what to do.

Ask a Question