WPS Writer Suite --- mysterious clicking noise

Reaction score
Hi all,

I recently switched over from Apache Open Office to WPS because, although I respect the open source world much more, I need compatibility with .docx and .xlsx formats and haven't been able to find another free office suite that fits the bill.

After downloading the full WPS suite (Writer, Spreadsheets, Presentations), I now hear, when using my computer with WPS open or closed, the clicking sound that plays when a folder is opened in the file explorer. I have scanned my computer with the Windows 10 full scan and have manually looked through the active processes. Nothing looks malicious (other than that i'm running out of storage space!). Anyone have any ideas about what may be generating clicking actions?

Thanks!
roon

Reaction score
I recently switched over from Apache Open Office to WPS because, although I respect the open source world much more, I need compatibility with .docx and .xlsx formats and haven't been able to find another free office suite that fits the bill.
I used to use OpenOffice since back when it was StarOffice [Star Micro] but since the changes in ownership I have relied upon the Free LibreOffice, does at least one thing necessary for some of my older clients that OO doesn't. And it is compatible with nearly everything Microsoft Office except doesn't have an E-Mail Client nor something comparable with Publisher .

Reaction score
Hey Bighorn, thanks for your quick feedback. Until now, I didn't know the difference or branching history between LibreOffice and OpenOffice. Thanks for the suggestion, looks like the recent versions of LibreOffice should do the trick. Much obliged!

Reaction score
I switched from MS Office 2010 to Libre Office. No problems with Libre whatsoever, it's perfect for my needs.

Reaction score
I've been using Libre for years on my Linux machines and a couple of my Windows PC's. Never had a compatibility issue.

Ask a Question