dvd writer driver

Reaction score
Updating my DVD rom drive to a DVD RW drive. How do I install the new Windows 10 driver?

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Never had to do that.
I've always just removed the old one and replaced it with the new one and ...... it worked.
Are you having some specific problem with the upgrade? Is there something unique about the particular brand of optical drive you've obtained as a replacement drive?
Check device manager and confirm that it is being recognized properly as to specific make and model.

Reaction score
That's what I thought, I had a ROM dvd that the door stopped working(had to use a paper clip to open it) so I thought I would just replace it and upgrade to a RW at the same time. Got it on EBAY and it reads dvd's but when I insert a blank dvd it doesn't stop searching and it isn't recognized when I try to create a Win 10 repair disk. Thought maybe I was missing a driver.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Got it on EBAY
Famous last words.... What's the return policy?
Additionally, check the specs and confirm that the optical drive feature set includes the media you are attempting to use -R +R, etc. most new optical drives will handle both but it used to be more significant back in the day.
I've purchase four (4) of these recently
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16827135305
I put two in my wife's system and two in mine. So far I haven't found any media that they won't work with.

Reaction score
Three things that I know of might cause this
  1. Bad drive that has trouble reading
  2. The drive could need a firmware update to detect newer media.
  3. You may need burning software to operate properly. I actually think (without knowing for sure) the software is the driver.

Reaction score
Famous last words.... What's the return policy?
Additionally, check the specs and confirm that the optical drive feature set includes the media you are attempting to use -R +R, etc. most new optical drives will handle both but it used to be more significant back in the day.
I've purchase four (4) of these recently
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16827135305
I put two in my wife's system and two in mine. So far I haven't found any media that they won't work with.

I'm in the process of dealing with the EBAY seller, his ad clearly states CD RW, DVD RW, but the drive states CD RW DVD drive. I currently have an external DVD writer that I've been using. We're see how they respond, in any case it was only $15 bucks.

Reaction score
This was from their specifications for the product
Manufacturer Dell
Part Number FX224
Interface SATA
Burn Capability CD RW DVD RW
Compatibility Optiplex 780

Reaction score
Some people don't know what they have and make assumptions. They may have actually thought a DVD-RW is what they had. This doesn't surprise me, especially from an online flee market.

Ask a Question