DVD writers

Reaction score
I have 2 DVD recordable drives, neither will load Movies.
I don't mean they won't play movies I have programs that will play DVD movies
Window 10 will not recognize that a disk is in the tray at all
I have tried deleting the High Filters this did not help
I'm wondering that since these are 4 or 5 year old devices is there a possibility that DRM is what my problem is. IF what is the work around or is there a firmware update that I should look for or will purchasing new devices be DRM ready? I really don't have a good understanding of how DRM works with computer and DVD Player/Writers, I had a similar problem with my TV/Monitor and DirectTV and Sling Box. The work around was to install a HDMI Splitter some how the splitter resolved the issue I have no Idea why.
Anyone out there have a clue about this issue?

Reaction score
DRM is software based. I will not effect hardware detection, which seems to be the issue here.

Another possibility is every disk is encoded with the type of disk it is. If the drive firmware doesn't recognize the disk encoding, the drive will not know how to read/write the disk. Sometimes a firmware update will help. If a firmware update is needed and not available, then a new drive will be needed to read/write the new disk.

With that said I don't know enough about the situation to come to a concrete solution.

Reaction score
DRM is software based. I will not effect hardware detection, which seems to be the issue here.

Another possibility is every disk is encoded with the type of disk it is. If the drive firmware doesn't recognize the disk encoding, the drive will not know how to read/write the disk. Sometimes a firmware update will help. If a firmware update is needed and not available, then a new drive will be needed to read/write the new disk.

With that said I don't know enough about the situation to come to a concrete solution.

Yes well both of the drives did work perfectly a few months ago. I'm not really sure when that stopped working. I don't remember if they ever worked on Windows 10.
Perhaps DRM is not the correct technology I'n thinking of. I do know that a few months ago Direct TV changed something that made my monitor non compliant and and my Sling non compliant, at the time I thought it had to do with HDMI it Know that is is DR protection so I'm thinking perhaps there is something in windows 10 that is blocking these disk the same way?
I'm not against replacing the DVD Drives there cheap but I'm not so sure that will solve the issue.

Reaction score
When Direct tv handshakes with your system to ensure that the monitor is 'correct' to display the signal and that there are no devices in the chain that can decrypt the signal without being authorized by Direct tv. That is the HDCP protocol. It is a pain but the copyright holders insist.

Problems at the consumer level can often be cause by cheap HDMI cables or bad HDMI connections somewhere in the chain. For DVD players it can be that the DVD has a newer encryption key than the PC software. I have seen this with VLC and I had to go and find and download new keys.

Reaction score
When Direct tv handshakes with your system to ensure that the monitor is 'correct' to display the signal and that there are no devices in the chain that can decrypt the signal without being authorized by Direct tv. That is the HDCP protocol. It is a pain but the copyright holders insist.

Problems at the consumer level can often be cause by cheap HDMI cables or bad HDMI connections somewhere in the chain. For DVD players it can be that the DVD has a newer encryption key than the PC software. I have seen this with VLC and I had to go and find and download new keys.

Yes but the software is never getting to see the disk, I mean I put in a DVD Movie several minutes go by and the DVD stops spinning. Windows explorer does not see any disk in the DVD Player. It has to be on a very basic level that they are being blocked

Reaction score
Have you tried a disk cleaner to see if the lenses are dirty and that's why they cannot be read, you said they are old drives?. ;)

Bif

Reaction score
Hmm..as I don't know the first thing about Netflix as I don't use it, I find it odd that you can download and burn content...as this is seems to be counter productive for how they offer content.
Are you illegally downloading content via a third party program? if so that may be the issue as Netflix may have DRM on their content...this is just a guess .

Reaction score
Hmm..as I don't know the first thing about Netflix as I don't use it, I find it odd that you can download and burn content...as this is seems to be counter productive for how they offer content.
Are you illegally downloading content via a third party program? if so that may be the issue as Netflix may have DRM on their content...this is just a guess .
Actually they started out renting DVD and the Streaming thing didn't come along for a few years. They continue to rent DVD still $7.99 per month you get as many movies as you can watch and send back they send me 3 at a time as soon as I mail one back they send another. There mail system recognizes when a return has been scanned in at the post office.

I like it to catch up on series that are no longer available for streaming. Also Music DVD are hard to find and the good ones are not up for streaming.

As far as I know there is no way to record streamed movies. There may be some work around that I don't know of HDMI is pretty well protected I guess you could record off the old analog red and black RCA connector I doubt any one would want to.

Last edited:

Bif

Reaction score
@Clintlgm, sorry for the misunderstanding..I had no idea, so now I consider myself schooled on Netflix!
I doubt then it would be a DRM issue, or a regional issue.. I'm stumpedo_O

Reaction score
Does your drive still work when reading other disk? If your drive works with other disk, then chances are it is not the drive but instead disk compatibility with the drives firmware. You said the drives worked a few months ago. We need you to clarify and see if the drive works at all with other disk.

Bif

Reaction score
Just for sh**s & giggles download Daum Potplayer or VLC player and assign it as your default player for DVDs..see if the drive then recognizes these DVDs.
Just a thought.. nothing to lose.

Reaction score
Just for sh**s & giggles download Daum Potplayer or VLC player and assign it as your default player for DVDs..see if the drive then recognizes these DVDs.
Just a thought.. nothing to lose.
I have VLC player, my problem is windows is not recognizing that a DVD in in the Player/Recorder

Reaction score
I have VLC player, my problem is windows is not recognizing that a DVD in in the Player/Recorder

I assume the drive shows up in Windows Explorer?
Do you have an option to replace the dvd drive?? It might be that the drive is bad.

Reaction score
Reading back through this thread, unless I'm missing it..has this been determined yet?
Is it ALL DVDs or just Netflix?

Seens to be all DVD's Rented and purchased.
your post made me try some different disk just to see what would happen,
Neither DVD player/writer will even read my old original window 7 SP1 disk.

I guess I'll drop in a new player/recorder and see, just don't seem likely to me that both my DVD Player/Records would stop functioning at the same time

Disk Manager recognizes that both devices or there and they have the correct drive letters I assigned to them

I guess I could try deleting the High and Low filters again. Last time I tried that I BSOD and had to restore

Bif

Reaction score
Interesting, as much as I want to blame the drives...like you said both going belly up at the same time seems a little odd...but not out of the realm I guess.
I'm honestly at a loss..

Reaction score
I'm honestly at a loss..
But if we keep chipping away at it, we will eventually split this problem wide open.

Edit: I once purchased 3 drive of the same model. I figured if I ever had trouble with them I could swap parts eventually. Believe it or not that day did come to pass. I ended up with two of the drives bad. The best I could tell after swapping part was a bad lazer in one, and a bad board in the other. The first was much like the drives the OP is working with. The drive just stopped functioning at all. The second drive would read but wouldn't write, so I figured that one to be a bad laser. After salvaging parts I ended up with a good functioning drive that is still working to this day. I'm still keeping the bad drive even though it seems to have two bad parts in it.

Last edited:

Ask a Question