DVD writers

Reaction score
Well last time I looked around Liteon was the best now it seems that LG is so Amazon say's I'll have it for Wednesday that may fix me or eliminate one possibility.
Seems litescribe has gone away I still have new disk I never used, no worries they will still write data and I can make lables

Last edited:
Reaction score
Well last time I looked around Liteon was the best now it seems that LG is so Amazon say's I'll have it for Wednesday that may fix me or eliminate one possibility.
LG is the name brand of drives I buy. The three identical units I bought were LG. Even the BD-R unit I have is LG. My mother has a Samsung DVD writer that seems to be a quality unit. All in all though I'm happy with LG. At least with LG I don't have that nasty problem with the drive door not wanting to open. Which was a plague with so many drive I've had in the distant past.
Seems litescribe has gone away I still have new disk I never used, no worries they will still write data and I can make lables
Sadly yes I've noticed this as well.

Reaction score
I used to have LG drives but gave up on them as they had been very picky with the blanks I was using (at the time, this may have changed meanwhile). Currently I have a Samsung DVD writer in my desktop which has some age on it already but I have a spare. My laptops use an external writer as I use the drive bay for a HDD.
But even my Samsung drives sometimes disconnect, create errors. As soon as I make several coasters the drive is done and in the bin (trash that is)...
I used to have Lightscribe but do not use it anymore, it does not last. Instead I am printing my labels with my ink printer (Canon iP4200). looks perfect and does not fade...

Reaction score
Yea the lightscribe was a pretty good idea, but never really worked out took forever to burn the label side with anything complicated.
I'm just finding that different quality disk are being manufactured. I mean really different quality. They all used to be pretty flakey I had best luck with Verbatim, Now I find out they have good one made somewhere and crappy one made in China bought a pack from Sam's club but haven't been able to check them out. I got the cheap ones from China LOL.

Reaction score
for CD/DVD I have usually either Verbatim or JVC (Taiyo-Yuden) and for DVD-R DL I use Ridata cause they are the only DL blanks that are ink printable.
My preferred store: https://www.supermediastore.com/
I usually buy either 50 packs or 100 packs...

So far I had really good success with these. Blanks I never had a good success are from Memorex, Maxell, Sony and Philips (constant coasters)....

Reaction score
Ditto, I have only tried the Verbatim of your list, Seems now that they have changed and are producing two different products cheap and expensive. I don't mine expensive if they write good and hold the data. Mitsubishi Verbatim DVD-R, DVD+R or DVD+R DL, made in India, UAE, Singapore or Taiwan. (Do not buy the “Life Series” or “Value Series” discs.) Good Verbatim is getting harder to find in local stores.

Read more: http://www.digitalfaq.com/reviews/dvd-media.htm#ixzz50Ethd32k

Is this the same information your working off of? It been a couple of years since I actually burned any disk at all, coming back in to lots of changes to deal with.

I also usually deal with Supermediastore.com

Bif

Reaction score
I've been using Sony and Verbatim exclusively for years with only a few coaster..I tried Maxell at one point as I found them at a great deal...ended up with a spindle of coasters or mini Frisbees..
The quality of most discs now I find is a crap shoot...no quality control and making on the cheap.
I tend to buy a lot at garage / yard sales when I find them..got enough this past summer to last a lifetime.

Reaction score
Hmm new LG is working flawlessly, so I guess 2 DVD's can fail at the same time????, think I'll find a DVD Cleaner disk and try it on the other DVD see it that works too.

Reaction score
Hmm new LG is working flawlessly, so I guess 2 DVD's can fail at the same time????, think I'll find a DVD Cleaner disk and try it on the other DVD see it that works too.
Don't use a socalled "cleaner disk". After using that you definitely can through the drive out. these disks have a little brush on them which is suppose to clean the lens of the laser but scratching them instead.
I myself use a Q-Tip and alcohol (Isopropanol) to clean laser assy's, has worked for me so far and no scratching.

Reaction score
Well I have one out I might as well give that a try I have both Alcohol and Qtips. It would be nice to still have one Light Scribe burning

Reaction score
I'm not sure but I think it is possible, the light scribe function may work even if data burning fails.

Reaction score
The problem with these two is that windows does not recognize any disk are in the player.

Reaction score
I'll never know, I cleaned the laser with Alcohol and still got no results there in the trash can now.

Ask a Question