External drive/writer not recognised by Windows 10

Reaction score
Dear fellow Windows users,
I have bought an Chuwi lapbook. It has no cd/dvd drive so I bought one. This usb dvd player is not recognised by Windows, tried several solutions found on internet but without any
result. Hope someone can point me in the right direction.
Would appreciate this.
Greetings.
Aedriaen
The Netherlands.

Reaction score
Does Notebook/Laptop have both USB 3 [blue] and USB 2 [black] ports? Have you tried the drive in all the ports? I have an HP and a Lite-On drive and some computers are finicky about the port used. Have you tried a Self-powered USB Hub? Maybe the ports aren't supplying sufficient power to the drive. Most of the portable drives now use a single USB/Power cable but some in the past used a Y-cable, one for data and power and the other for additional power.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Does Notebook/Laptop have both USB 3 [blue] and USB 2 [black] ports? Have you tried the drive in all the ports? I have an HP and a Lite-On drive and some computers are finicky about the port used. Have you tried a Self-powered USB Hub? Maybe the ports aren't supplying sufficient power to the drive. Most of the portable drives now use a single USB/Power cable but some in the past used a Y-cable, one for data and power and the other for additional power.

Hello Bighorn,
tried all the ports but no response. The drive responds if I put the usb plug in the laptop, light burns and it spins up. According to the internet this Chuwi 14.1 lapbook should be powerfull enough to power an external dvd drive. But I give it a try. Greetings Aedriaen

Ask a Question