Nearly All my Old Games Keep Crashing on Windows 10

Reaction score
Ok, so when I had Windows 8, I had bought a whole slew of Steam games. I had to set the graphics on all of them to their lowest settings to play them, but at least I could play them. I have since upgraded to Windows 10, and all of them (except for Civilization 5) will do one of a few things:
  • Go to a black screen that blinks on and almost as soon as I run them
  • Freeze, display "Not Responding", crash (displaying the whole This Game is Crashing and Windows is Searching for a Solution to the Problem)
  • Freeze, and just stay frozen (it never says Not Responding or anything), here I usually have to use CTRL-ALT-DEL to pull up Task Manager, but typically, I'm never able to click on Task Manager because the game does this thing where, even though it's minimized, clicking anywhere on the screen brings me back into the game, so I mostly end up just restarting my computer
I've been trying all the tricks with the Intel Management Engine Interface, Compatibility Mode, etc.
I just want to play these games, so could someone help, please?

Attachments

• DxDiag.txt
    92.8 KB · Views: 770
Reaction score
Welcome aboard, Andrew. I´m afraid that your video card is not up to the task. By continuing to run the games, you can move them "up" so that Windows 10 adjusts to them.

Also, there is an obscure trick that worked for me, although it usually doesn't work for others. Go to Device Manager and select your video driver. Probably, it will tell you that your driver is functioning correctly. Find the tab for "Events," and see if your video driver was installed completely.

If not, SET A RESTORE POINT and uninstall the driver. 10 will immediately throw in a generic driver, so you won't go blank. Restart, and if offered the choice, upgrade to the better driver. DO NOT DELETE THE DRIVER if given the choice.

Regedit32

Reaction score
Hi Andrew,

The video adapter may not be the best but a few tweaks may help:
  • I assume its using the integrated GPU; if not you will want to set that to be the case.
  • Right-click on Steam and select Properties then the Compatibility tab and check the box for Run this program as an administrator. Click Apply then OK
  • For any game you want to play
    • Right-click > Properties > Compatibility tab then:
      • Check box next to Run this program in compatibility mode for: | select Windows 8
        • Also check box next to: Run this program as an administrator. Click Apply then OK

You will need to manually start Steam each time you boot if running as administrator.

Regards,

Regedit32

Reaction score
There are many reasons for this. The game publishers support their games on windows 10? If they support then there is problem with your windows. If they do not then you need to manually fix

Ask a Question