Nearly brand new Windows 10 won't boot

Reaction score
A few days ago I bought an HP Pavilion 510-p030 with Windows 10. For some reason the Windows bootup broke. I can get to BIOS and Windows Recovery, but no bootup to Windows.

In the short time that the computer worked, I did not activate an Administrator account. I did not make a Windows 10 recovery disc or drive, and I did not make a system repair disc.

I tried to run Bootrec from the command prompt in Windows Recovery Tools (that are on the computer's hard drive) to try to fix problem. It only allows the Administrator account to use the command prompt in the recovery tools. I don't know the password for Administrator, so I'm stuck. Other possible tasks that might be helpful are also locked because they need administrator priviledges.

Without administrator priviledges, the recovery tools do allow restoring Windows 10 to factory condition. I've done that, but it doesn't fix the bootup problem.

How do I get Windows 10 to boot again?

Reaction score
There are some troubleshooting ideas here
http://support.hp.com/us-en/product...s/10734566/model/11715774/document/c03513214/
AND some mention of using F11 during POST to perform a factory reset back to OOBE settings here
http://support.hp.com/us-en/product...es/10734566/model/11715774/document/c03489643

I've already gone through those, and they don't help. I cannot even boot to usb or dvd, so I think I'm dead in the water. If interested, more details here: http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Deskto...stallation-recovery-media-from-HP/m-p/5917935

Reaction score
Does the Desktop have multiple video outputs and can you change to one?

If not, can you change the type of output, say from HDMI to DVI?

Does the monitor have a way to select different inputs?

Do the Recovery Options, Troubleshoot, Advanced options have an option to boot into Safe Mode?

The fact you can boot into the Recovery options is a good sign. If you have lost the video because of a bad driver update you can uninstall it from Safe Mode. But you may want to go back and make sure you have reset the bios configuration so the UEFI boot device will be selected during a normal boot.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
In the short time that the computer worked, I did not activate an Administrator account
The account you configured when you first got the computer should have automatically been created as a member of the local Administrators Group.
I did not make a Windows 10 recovery disc or drive, and I did not make a system repair disc.
The installation media can be used as a "system repair disc"
You will need another working computer to perform the following......
IF you do not have the installation media, the ISO can be obtained here
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/sof...459594)(TnL5HPStwNw-WaTVja5C7z2Vs7q82apCPg)()

Choose Windows 10, the first item in the first drop down (not single language at the bottom) * see note at bottom.
Next choose your language and your bit version (32 or 64 bit to match your system architecture or in the case of an upgrade, to match your currently installed version of Windows).
That will provide an ISO that will boot, upgrade, repair (or clean install) either or both Windows 10 Pro and Home.
*NOTE: In some cases, we've learned that some people have the "Single Language" version installed. In which case you would need that download. It's important that you match the ISO version that you download with your installation.

Once you have downloaded the ISO you can use ImgBurn to burn it to a DVD http://imgburn.com/index.php?act=download
OR
Rufus to burn it to a USB ThumbDrive http://rufus.akeo.ie/
Rufus.JPG

I cannot even boot to usb or dvd, so I think I'm dead in the water.
It's important that the media is created for your system, since it is a newer system I'll assume that it is likely UEFI / GPT
ON HP systems, generally holding down the Esc (escape) key while powering on the system should produce a one time boot menu to allow you to choose a compatible boot device.
You'll need to confirm in your BIOS, that you have not inadvertently switched from UEFI to Legacy.
On some systems, it's obvious, you can choose UEFI or Legacy, while on others it may not be quite as obvious and may involve something innocuously named "secure boot" or something similar.

Reaction score
Does the Desktop have multiple video outputs and can you change to one?

If not, can you change the type of output, say from HDMI to DVI?

Does the monitor have a way to select different inputs?

There are multiple video outputs, but my monitor only came with an HDMI cable. If I try to change the monitor from HDMI to analog, it automatically switches back to HDMI. I suppose it senses the HDMI cable/signal.

Do the Recovery Options, Troubleshoot, Advanced options have an option to boot into Safe Mode?

Yes, but it doesn't work. I've tried everything it allows me to try. Rolling back to restore point fails, restoring Windows partition to factory specs works but doesn't change the booting problem.

The fact you can boot into the Recovery options is a good sign. If you have lost the video because of a bad driver update you can uninstall it from Safe Mode. But you may want to go back and make sure you have reset the bios configuration so the UEFI boot device will be selected during a normal boot.

When I tried booting to usb and dvd, I tried every combination of secure boot, legacy support, and fast boot enabled/disabled. Nothing worked.

Here's something interesting. Whether I attempt to boot from hard drive, dvd, or usb, the boot process starts. I see the spinning dots and HP logo when trying to boot from hard drive. When trying to boot from usb or dvd, I similarly see an initial screen before it goes to the dark gray. Is this consistent with losing the video drivers?

Ask a Question