HELP!! Brand new laptop is now useless. (File ownership issue..crashed my computer)

Reaction score
Turned my brand new laptop into a brick
Long story as short as possible.. I just bought a brand new HP spectre x360 that came with windows 8.1 and upgraded last week to 10. I didn't use the laptop much before this because I hated 8 and I couldn't access my work computer remotely for some reason and didn't feel like going too far down the road of figuring out the problem when I knew I'd be upgrading my OS soon. Fast forward to last night...
Running 10 and still having same issue with remote access, as well as some other seemingly unrelated (though I later began to think they were definitely related) issues with file/folder ownership/permissions and confusing account stuff..even though I'm the only one using the laptop and the only one with an account, and it was set to administrator.. but somehow this still wasn't good enough to access hardly anything on the laptop. Needless to say, I became frustrated after hours of setting/changing permissions on things and finally decided to speed the process along by trying to take control of C:\ using instructions I found online. It seemed to be going well, but then... This is where it gets hazy... I stayed up all night working on various fixes using google on my phone, and I can't remember the actual sequence of events... But possibly I got some kind of error while taking ownership and it made the process come to a halt. Either way, I ended up in task manager with the intent to terminate some process. I don't know which one. I did it and my laptop has been a brick ever since.
It stays on a blue screen with a white "loading" symbol rotating endlessly and never does anything else. I can go into the recovery options using F11 but none of the repair, restore or reset options work. In command prompt, it has me in X:\. When booting in safe mode with cmd prompt, I see the familiarities of my login screen which then takes me to my desktop and opens CMD with C:\ as the source this time. So, I know my stuff still exists somewhere out there in the world, just don't know how to get back to it. I've tried sfc /scannow and chkdsk which run successfully and find errors but then say they can't do anything else in safe mode. The last thing I just did was attempt to assign ownership of C:\ in safe mode to my Microsoft user account. It went through a very long process of running every file and I thought I had finally solved the issue. Ultimately about 400,000+ files were NOT changed (about 2 million were) and rebooting still gives me the same problem.. Same blue screen that never makes it to point where I can login.

PLEASE help! So frustrating that laptops/computers don't come with a Windows CD anymore.

Reaction score
Mate,

HP's come with a restore partition. It has been a long time since I have used HP's restore.

Anyway you most likely get returned to Windows 8. Have a look HERE.
Look at "Refreshing your computer when Windows will not open to the Start screen (Windows 8)"
"Refresh your PC to reinstall Windows without affecting your personal files, apps, and many settings."

Press the power button then the F11 key a few times to get to the restore menu

Ask a Question