Installing on a brand new, blank hard drive.

JRP

Reaction score
I broke my computer's hard drive, and it won't fully boot. I have a new, blank hard drive from the manufacturer, and I have an external hard drive case to transfer files from the old drive that might be accessible. However I know I can't do anything without an operating system. There was no CD for Windows 8 when I bought my computer, so the only copy is on the broken hard drive. It had been upgraded to Windows 10 already. So my question is, how can I get Windows 10 on the new hard drive? Do I need to purchase a new copy on a CD-ROM? Is there another way? If I get the CD, how do I installed it on a completely blank hard drive?
Thanks for any advice or help. I don't have a ton of experience with this kind of thing yet!

JRP

Reaction score
If you activated Windows 10, you should be able to download the media creation tool, and create an iso file, and clean install it on the new hdd. You can either burn the iso to a dvd or create a bootable flash drive.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

Thanks for the reply, but can I download anything without an operating system? There is nothing on this new hard drive and the old one doesn't boot.

Ask a Question