SOLVED Need external dvd/cd drive for new Windows 10 laptop

Reaction score
I just purchased a new Dell Inspiron laptop with Windows 10 OS. Doesn't come with an installed cd/dvd drive. All I can find are drives compatible with Windows 8 from manufacturers that I recognize. Can you suggest a name brand one that is compatible with Windows 10? Thanks for the help.

Reaction score
Any USB ("universal" serial bus) drive should work. It does not need to say Windows 10. But if concerned, you can visit the website of the product you are considering and see what it says there.

Are you looking for a player, or a writer (burner)?

I would not hesitate to buy any these that are no more than $30.

Reaction score
Any USB ("universal" serial bus) drive should work. It does not need to say Windows 10. But if concerned, you can visit the website of the product you are considering and see what it says there.

Are you looking for a player, or a writer (burner)?

I would not hesitate to buy any these that are no more than $30.

I am looking for both a burner and a player. I didn't think you could buy a player only, so I assume the ones that you gave me the link to are both. Thank you for your time and trouble. I will look them over to determine which one I prefer.

Reaction score
I just got this one and it works fine with Windows 10, inexpensive too @ $21.95.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00MLXA1HG?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o08_s00
I guess I won't have to be too careful about choosing one as I thought. The drive that you suggested seems to be a good one. I received another reply also with more suggestions and will check out all of them and decide which one to buy. Thank you for the time and trouble you went to to help me. It is greatly appreciated. Hopefully I will be able to help someone else with their problems.

Reaction score
I see it is the same as one of the two Digerati suggested only a different seller.

Reaction score
I am looking for both a burner and a player. I didn't think you could buy a player only
Sure, you can buy a player only, but most want to burn too as DVD disks are often used for backups, so burners are pretty common now. And that is good as that has driven the prices down.

Ask a Question