SOLVED Need help doing a File History backup Windows 10.

Reaction score
Hi everyone. I never considered myself the sharpest blade in the drawer, but I can follow instructions fairly well. I'm attempting to do a 'simple' File History Backup on Windows 10 for the 1st time and just can't seem to get the hang of it. I'm using a new SanDisk 32GB USB flash drive and File History recognizes it. I have gone through the list, one by one, and removed the folders I don't need or care about. I'm just interested in my basic 4 Library folders. Thinking my problems may be related to the file system on the USB drive, I did a little research but it doesn't seem to be related. The backup I'm running now has been formatted to exFAT. (Just checked, and same issues). So let me start by giving a common thing I'm seeing in all the files backed up in all my libraries: The file names are being changed to something like: "(2023_02_01 14_52_14 UTC).jpg or .mp4, etc. Can't seem to open anything and getting messages like 'looks like we don't support this format'. A couple other issues, but I'm hoping once this big one is resolved, the others may work out. (PS...I take all Windows Updates religiously and all the usual file scans and integrity appear to be OK). Many thanks in advance. Larry

Edition: Windows 10 Home
Version: 22H2
Installed on: 7/‎18/‎2020
OS Build: 19045.2546
System type: 64-bit operating system, x64-based processor
Windows Feature Experience Pack 120.2212.4190.0

Reaction score
I personally prefer to use Xcopy or Robocopy to back up my files. Xcopy is the simpler version, but takes a little longer for big files. Both will do an incremental back up of files and folders to where ever you want them to back up to, so you are not copying non updated files each time.
Both Xcopy and Robocopy are included with windows and run in the DOS environment. I just create a .bat file with the commands on it and run it from File manager.

Reaction score
I agree with @Maxjonz2, I use xcopy in a .BAT file. There's the command I use:

xcopy /e /y /k /r /d "d:\photos\*.*" "z:\Backup\photos

The switches prevent unchanged files from being backed up. Note that I have assigned drive Z to the backup disk. That makes sure the USB drive never changes drive letter, which would stop the BAT file from working.

For a secondary backup, I run DSynchronize when I shut down the PC. I have set it to switch off the PC when finished. Unlike xcopy, it removes backup files when the local file is deleted.

Reaction score
I do a daily image using Macrium Reflect. Although I use the paid version, they also have a free version. It’s extremely easy to use & they have a dedicated forum to answer questions.

Reaction score
For home users, xcopy and Dsynchonize have the advantage that the backup files are "normal" files. They can be opened from the backup with the same app the original was created with, they do not need a recovery app.

Reaction score
For home users, xcopy and Dsynchonize have the advantage that the backup files are "normal" files. They can be opened from the backup with the same app the original was created with, they do not need a recovery app.
True, but an image backup has an advantage. You can (& should) make a rescue disk (CD or thumb-drive). If your system gets corrupted, you can still restore everything.

Reaction score
I personally prefer to use Xcopy or Robocopy to back up my files. Xcopy is the simpler version, but takes a little longer for big files. Both will do an incremental back up of files and folders to where ever you want them to back up to, so you are not copying non updated files each time.
Both Xcopy and Robocopy are included with windows and run in the DOS environment. I just create a .bat file with the commands on it and run it from File manager.
I was about to recommend Robocopy too, and also if you are not a techy with CLI Robocopy you can try alternatives like Teracopy and Gs Richcopy 360

Ask a Question